Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andycase

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I haven't had much luck with bandsaws in the past - only because i haven't set them up properly, or i have had rubbish blades on them.
I'm thinking of purchasing a Record Power BS400 which i can get through work for £600 inc. VAT

I will purchase some blades from Tuffsaws

What i mainly want to do is take reclaimed timber (scaffold boards, joists) and rip them down to workable sizes (8x1 etc). I have a planer thicknesser for dressing them up afterwards.

The BS400 can take a 1 inch blade, and i will by premium blades from Tuffsaws.

My question is, will this machine do what i want? On paper it will, but if set up right and with good blades, can i rip down softwood as above? I dont want to commit to this amount of money, although a good price, to find i cant do it.

I know a lot of you will think buying 2nd hand would be better, but bear in mind i can get this on credit through work brand new, thats why i am going this route. I wont have to pay now.

Have a word with Tuff Saws, if its reclaimed timber they might suggest M45 blades. These can cope with some metals that might be embedded in those boards you mention. Normal blades will fail after one touch most probably.

I hate to think what a planer thicknesser would say to reclaimed boards.

Hi
Thanks
I will be going over the boards with a metal detector first, and probably a belt sander to get rid of grit
Its more the bandsaws ability to cut straight and true etc im concerned about

I don't know the machine but bear in mind that just because the wheels are 1" deep it doesn't mean you can tension a 1" blade sufficiently - especially if you go the M42 route. But 1/2" should do and you can get good results with such a blade.
S

I'd say you want a big old saw, may be wrong and there's lots of opinions on here but putting a long plank through a bandsaw is fairly tricky unless you've already tried this and are happy with the result

Back