Bandsaw Veneers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have almost always glued down our bandsaw veneer with Cascamite or Aerolite though recently have been using Bison PU glue from Tilgear.

All these are gapfilling. UF does not creep. The surface finish from the meat & fish blade is smoother than from a regular blade though not perfect. We generally cut the veneer at 2.5 mm and may subsequently loose 0.2 to 0.3 mm in final cleanup. Have not noticed any ghosting yet probably due to the thickness of the veneer.

We have also hand planed the sawn surface sometimes to remove the texture from the saw kerf.

My method is to machine the board, cut a slice and then remachine with a light pass, about 0.1 to 0.2. Thus each veneer has one machined surface. If bookmatching we might smooth the sawn sufaces with a handplane after cutting, but I am not sure this is essential.

best wishes,
David

It is also possible to thickness thin laminates or thick veneers through the machine thickness planer, but it needs to be very sharp and well set up.

See my table article Book Two Page 4

The ends of the veneer are stuck to a baseboard with double sided tape and this causes quite a lot of faffing about. The first and last 2 to 3 inches of veneer may not machine well, due to only one feedroller engaging.

I am desperate for some LOW TACK double sided tape for this job.
(Even high tack on one side and low on the other).

Does anyone know where one might find such a thing please?
I'm sure it exists but who will supply small quantities?

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

David C wrote:
LOW TACK double sided tape
David - have you tried your local art supply shop? Tape used for picture mounting and framing is generally low tack, anything stronger and the adhesive over time will ghost thru' the paper - Rob

woodbloke":2szgnen3 said:
I've had a look at the relevant issue of F&C (122) in John Bullar's aticle and he say as follows.....'Each piece of veneer will have a sawn face, which is tooth marked but smooth enough to glue directly, and a smooth surface, which was planed before being pressed against the fence during sawing' He achieves the smooth surface by hand planing each time and glues the sawn side to the groundwork. The auther of the piece produces veneers maybe 2 or 3mm thick and I do agree that the 'telegraphing' effect would almost certainly happen with very thin veneers but am not so sure that it would happen with the thicker stuff - Rob

yep agree with your comments 3mm thick ceases to be veneer--it transforms into lipping at that thickness.
With crossbanding sawn veneer the telegraphing gets even worse as the bandsaw gouge marks are with the grain.

regards.

shivers.

Back