Bandsaw Speeds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Barrett

Established Member
Reaction score
OK - sorry for the really dumb question but I've never used a bandsaw before.........

2 speeds. One for metal, one for wood. Right? OK now for the dumb question. Which is for which?
:oops:

Paul Barrett":12qfqhnn said:
OK - sorry for the really dumb question but I've never used a bandsaw before.........

2 speeds. One for metal, one for wood. Right? OK now for the dumb question. Which is for which?
:oops:

Slow for metal. and perhaps some really tough woods. (gives more torque at the blade but will be slower cutting )

In reality I doubt you will ever use the slow speed for wood.

See This Link

That's a great link- thanks

Ok so most of my cuts will be in hardwoods such as beech, black walnut and purple heart. Short cuts - maybe 6" max but sometomes deep cuts (up to 5" thick)

So speed is not of the essence for me, whilst accuracy and safety will be paramount. So I am thinking that I might stick with a slow speed?

Paul Barrett":1gsc4r5z said:
That's a great link- thanks

Ok so most of my cuts will be in hardwoods such as beech, black walnut and purple heart. Short cuts - maybe 6" max but sometomes deep cuts (up to 5" thick)

So speed is not of the essence for me, whilst accuracy and safety will be paramount. So I am thinking that I might stick with a slow speed?

I do not know which Bandsaw you have but I have today been happily cutting 8" deep Yew, Ash, Beech and regularly cut Oak Elm etc. up to this size with my saw set at High speed with no problems. (SIP 14")

Main requirement with those sort of thicknesses is to use a course skip Tooth Blade (4 tpi or less) from a quality supplier * so that there is effective clearance of the sawdust from the cut.

Accuracy is another thing all together and is a bit of a black art with a Bandsaw, Blade type, Wheel alignment, Guide alignment, Blade Drift (quality of blade manufacture) Blade tension. etc. Wood characteristics (grain flow) all can cause the blade to move away from the ideal.

Try sawing a piece of wood with a Hacksaw and see how it tracks, and that blade is stiffer than a bandsaw blade.

* The one that came with a new machine is likely to be rubish an just used to check that the machine works.

Hi Chas

Thanks for all the advice. It's a DeWalt 738 BTW

Yes, I was expecting to have to replace the supplied blade. and was going to do a search for a topic on blades - I expect there's on out there already.

If I keep the tpi low to clear the blade of kerf, can I also get a narrower blade to enable tighter radii, or are low tpi aand narrow blades mutually exclusive?

Paul Barrett":2o5tbfi3 said:
...snip.. can I also get a narrower blade to enable tighter radii, or are low tpi aand narrow blades mutually exclusive?

Down to 1/8" but I doubt if you will ever need less than 1/4" (6MM)

See this post for Radii info and the Link in the post 3 down in that thread.

CHJ
Y0u mention sawing with an hacksaw blade, thats why I like the M42 bandsaw blades because they are so firm and doesn't get driven off track.

Hi Paul
Paul Barrett":2wcqz2om said:
If I keep the tpi low to clear the blade of kerf, can I also get a narrower blade to enable tighter radii, or are low tpi and narrow blades mutually exclusive?
Curve cutting and ripping are sort of mutually exclusive. As soon as you use a blade for curve cutting you tend to induce drift so thereafter that blade won't really cut so straight as the act of turning it in the wood tends to alter the set ever so slightly. For straight ripping you want a wider blade partly for rigidity - that's why industrial resaws use blades 4in wide and upwards. There comes a point in blade width where you simply cannot get a very deep gullet - hook and skip tooth blades have a deep gullet to clear waste and they are the low tpi ones - that's why 3 tpi skip or hook tooth blades are generally unavailable below 1/4in wide, or if they are they're very weak. One trick to help cut sharp radii is to round-over the rear edges of the sawblade using an oilstone mounted on a stick (they're sold for this purpose) - this has to be done with the machine running so extreme caution is required.

Oh and the kerf is the width of the gap sawn by the blade :wink: .

For a thread on the design of bandsaw blades, see here

Scrit

devonwoody":3ktlpiwj said:
CHJ
Y0u mention sawing with an hacksaw blade, thats why I like the M42 bandsaw blades because they are so firm and doesn't get driven off track.
But the main problems with bimetallics (M42 or HSS generally electron beam welded to a carbon steel back) is that they're really quite expensive relative to carbon steel blades and that the range of tooth forms, sets and pitches is quite limited in comparison. For resawing they certainly do have their uses and the increased life expectancy of the cutting tips may well be worth paying for, especially if you cannot get stellite-tipped or TCT blades for your saw, but you probably won't find many fine tooth narrow blades available for wood in bimetallic simply because the target market tends to be engineering where wavy set (unsuitable for woodworking) is required. I've had conversations with a couple of bandsaw blade makers about bimetallics who are of the opinion that they (bimetallics) are also more prone to cracking on machines with smaller wheels, and by that they mean 18in or less wheel diameter.

Scrit

Scrit,
I agree some of your comments are valid but when you cut a piece of timber with one of these type blades and the cut is perfect how can any negative points be valid :)

devonwoody":yl1ewkm4 said:
Scrit,
I agree some of your comments are valid but when you cut a piece of timber with one of these type blades and the cut is perfect how can any negative points be valid :)
Yes, but what sort of cuts are you doing, at what speeds, in what thicknesses? Because I cut timber in a business life expectancy and speed of cut are probably a lot more important to me as clean-up can always be done after sawing. Most of the stuff I cut is destined for further "processing" be that in a lathe, router, spindle moulder, thicknesser, etc and this is probably the case for a lot of bandsawn materials. That tends to make quality of cut less of an issue. If you run a wavy set fine tooth blade in 6in thick hardwood you'll need to feed very slowly indeed to avoid binding in cut as the very small gullets simply won't be able to remove the waste - in cutting slowly you run the risk of re-cutting swarf in the cut, a process which in turn leads to burning, particularly on end grain of species such as beech, sycamore and maple. In cutting metals (the real use for wavy set bimetallics) the feed rate is slow enough to accommodate this (it's also constant, another factor) and the heat build-up is often controlled by the use of coolant fluid - not really an option open to woodworkers. I think that in thin materials up to 3/4 or maybe 1in the wavy set will probably work quite well and deliver a good surface finish because you are using a fine tooth set - but I'd hesitate to use a blade like that on thick stuff because of the potential clogging problems.

Where quality of cut is required, such as veneer cutting, then a different approach is required and a cimpletely different blade such as the Woodslicer becomes the order of the day - hook tooth, fine set, large pitch making for a fast and free cutting blade

Scrit

Scrit,
I wouldn't disagree with any comments made above especially reference to quality of cut because a follow up with the planer, this should also apply to tablesaws as well :D

devonwoody":luwv2dh0 said:
Scrit,

John, with your machine, usage rate and work type the blade may well be meeting your expectations and is a bonus for you.

I think what Scrit is trying to point out is that people should not take a specific specification as being a solution in all circumstances.

A bit like buying a "Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer" when they really wanted a "Peugeot Boxer Van" to shift the wood.

Yes CHJ.
A bit like buying a "Ferrari Berlinetta Boxer" when they really wanted a "Peugeot Boxer Van" to shift the wood.

I suppose I am a bit biased after that bad trip with the Peugeot :wink:

Back