Bandsaw running in reverse!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beejay

Established Member
Reaction score
I replaced the motor in my Record bandsaw recently with a new motor supplied by Record.
I tried it for the first time yesterday and rather than cut, the blade seemed to burn its way through a length of 2x2. :?
I changed the blade, checked the speed etc, all to no avail as the saw seemed only to burn rather than cut!
When I switched it off to go and ponder what to do next, I noticed as the saw slowed down that the blade was travelling upwards! i.e anti clockwise as I looked at it from the tooth side, meaning that the motor is turning clockwise when looking at it from the fan end.
I see no way of switching the direction of the motor and cant believe that Record could supply a motor that turns the wrong way.

Anyone got any ideas?
regards,
beejay

So long since I learned about induction motors I have forgotten most of it! There should be 2 lots of winding connections to the motor. Reversing the connections to one pair should reverse the motor direction. However I might be talking complete rubbish so proceed with caution :)

Contact Record & explain the problem along with the question on how to reverse the motor rotation. If the rotation cannot be reversed what will they do about correction through supply of a motor with the proper rotation. Taking these steps will ensure that you do nothing to jeprodize the motor warranty.

Lee

Thanks Robert,
Problem solved, I had wired it incorrectly :oops:
I didn't know it was possible to run in reverse either,, you learn something new every day as they say.
Another thing learned: it's possible to friction rip a length of 2x1 with your bandsaw :lol:
Thanks for your help.
regards, Beejay

OMG beejay, whatever you do, make sure you never ever put a circular saw on backwards!

I shouldn't laugh, because the timber could have been picked up and thrown in your face, but your idea of friction ripping was just a bit funny. Man I had to rush upstairs... to the LBR'm.!!! :lol:

Glad you survived and a lesson stored...

John

Back