bandsaw on the way

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo

Reaction score
:D Record Power BS350 bought and paid for .. hopefully delivered next weekend ... now .. what blades do i need ... sugestions anybody ?
Oh ... about to look at a Fobco drill press as well ... does £195 sound about right for a floor stand version ...

Hi timbo

Get your blades from Tuffsaw blades, excellent blades and service.
I have a Record BS12 bandsaw and I am very pleased with it. Enjoy yours.

Mick

Cool thanks for the tip. Can they give suggestions on what band to use for what wood and type of work ?

Timbo,

I bought a Record 350 a couple of weeks ago - really pleased.
Prior to to it being delivered, I contacted Ian John of Tuffsaws to discuss which blades I needed for the type of work I do.
Whilst the guys (& girls) on the forum will happily provide loads of useful advice, I would suggest you contact Ian directly who will give you honest advice as to what you need.
I just detailed the type and amount of work I was likely to do and the reommendation was 3 blades to cover every eventuality.

Despite the Alan Holtham DVD extolling the virtues of Record blades, the difference in performance betwenn the supplied blade and a new Tuffsaw blade was patently obvious so depsite the temptation to mess about with the supplied blade, just change it when you get a new one from Ian.

Glynne

+1 on the tuffsaw blades. I would drop Ian an email, even if you think you know what you need.

Fobco drill presses tend to be a bit like buses - none around for a while and then a cluster on offer (at least on Ebay). I got my single phase Fobco star bench model for only £50 as there were suddenly a few for sale. The floor standing versions tend to be more expensive. Bear in mind these drills are very heavy!

Misterfish

thanks guys ... I'll fire off an email to Ian John .. yeah I almost got a Fobco but the seller then added vat and with a courier it worked out over £320 !! wasn't anything flash either. So I'll wait a bit and see if I can get a cheaper one ..

When you buy your blades, buy them in pairs. There is nothing more frustrating than breaking one in the middle of a job and having to wait days to get a replacement.
I suggest starting with a 1/2" 3TPI Skip for ripping and a 1/4" 6TPI for general purpose work. You can then add more if you need them, but they will do you for 95% of everything.
Steve

hi Timbo
i too would definately recommend tuffsaw blades.
but getting steve maskerys bandsaw essentials dvds really helped me get the best out of my bandsaw.( in fact i think i would have given up with my bandsaw if i had not got both of the above.)
cheers
paul-c

Spoke to Ian, great guy, got blades ordered and are on their way as we speak. Cheers for all the help everybody .. I'll be back for more :D

Back