Bandsaw - Mid to Large

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have missed one :shock: SIP :)
I have a 12" bandsaw and some have the 14" bandsaw and I think you will find all of us are very happy with what we have for the price ( not to say that it has cut costs because of th price ) :D

Dave

Both Philly and I did a little research into BS a while ago and we came to the conclusion that the Axminster Plus series was a good buy at just over 700GBP, this gives a cut depth of 300mm.

Philly has noe got his and by all accounts really pleased with the machine, if you visit his website you can see the review.

Hope this helps

davejester":ses5hamc said:
Hi,

The record BS350x seems to have the best cutting depth at 235mm

Dave

I may be on my own here but it seems most go for cutting depth as being best. I have a BS350X and the thickest/widest cut I have ever made was nowhere near the maximum of the saw. Do you really need such a large saw? How many on the forum have cut to the maximum? How many have needed a BIGGER SAW? Only honest answers please.... :D :wink:

Lord Nibbo":2w1ty6b6 said:
How many have needed a BIGGER SAW?
When I just had my Elu 12" (3140? Can't remember) throat I have, yes. So I got a bigger one. Haven't maxed it out yet, but then I'd sooner have some spare capacity 'cos I don't think things are really best worked to their maximum limits all the time.

Cheers, Alf

If I was going to be purchasing a new bandsaw I'd probably go with the Hammer N4400:

I've seen it at a couple of shows and its been around £800

Here

SimonA

Charnwood have a new 18" model which has a cutting depth of 295mm and a 3HP motor for £799.00. Honestly don't know what it's like though as have yet to see one.
Ian

Lord Nibbo":2a21c28o said:
I may be on my own here but it seems most go for cutting depth as being best. I have a BS350X and the thickest/widest cut I have ever made was nowhere near the maximum of the saw. Do you really need such a large saw? How many on the forum have cut to the maximum? How many have needed a BIGGER SAW? Only honest answers please.... :D :wink:

I've just upgraded from a (theoretical) 220mm Luna to a 300mm saw because I have a load of 1ft x 3 and 4 inch baulks of teak I need to convert to boards. I could have ripped them down the middle I suppose, but that would have seemed like heresy.

Dave
I have just bought a new bandsaw (as Waka kindly noted). I'm very happy with the performance AND the price.!
Review here
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Philly,

your bandsaw looks good. Unfortunately I don't think I've got enough space for a saw that large. I've toyed with the idea of building a new workshop but I think that will have to go on hold until later this year. When I do build the new workshop I'll make sure I make the doors tall enough for the pallet to fit through!

I suppose I'll just have to look at getting one of the many other machines on my birthday list (from SWMBO to me). I'm not a great fan of spending money on smaller machines only to have to upgrade fairly quickly after that.

Cheers for all the help.

Dave

davejester":3iw5miw4 said:
So, from all this rambling, is there anything I've missed?
Only that the title of the thread should have been "Bandsaws - Small to Mid" :lol:

The reason for the bigger machines is as much to do with blade life, greater tension capacity (i.e. higher beam strength) and greater "flywheel" effect - all of which add up to smoother cutting. My experience has been that bigger is better in bandsaws unless you specifically need to run scroll blades. Power above 3HP on narrow bandsaws starts to become somewhat of a moot point as you won't need that much to drive a very thin blade through a dry hardwood - providuing you are using the right blade and it is sharp

Scrit

Back