bandsaw box advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
All suggestions welcome iv,e been practising with the bandsaw today making a bandsaw box and after i glued the back on i noticed that it had not stuck down very well what would you do cut the back off and re glue ???
mock

Attachments

• DSCF8295.jpg
    DSCF8295.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCF8294.jpg
    DSCF8294.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCF8293.jpg
    DSCF8293.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 249
Hi Alan,
How did that happen? It looked like you did not clamp it all around, which is essential. Cut the back off again and sand any glue off on the sander to keep it level. Check with the light that it fits snugly and glue agaian making sure you use enough clamps to keep it closed all round. It will not matter if the drawers are a little bit proud as, presumably, you will be rounding the edges. I hope that the drawers have all been glued well? What glue are you using?

Malcolm

Yes i think you are correct i confess i did not use enough clamps i had two projects on the go and not enough clamp,s titebond 111
After i glue the back on again and sand it what,s the proceeder regarding sanding and sealing again please Alexam
mock

When the box and drawers have been finished by sanding through the grits, I usually go down to 400, then I usually put 2-3 coats of sanding sealer, with 400 sanding lightly between coats. After the last coat, a gentle 600 grit sand and then 2 coats of hard wax polish. Oiling is different and I am using Tru-Oil at present, which although more expensive, gives a finish with more shine. Usually 2-3 coats of oil again lightly sanding between, but I find that wiping off with a lint free cloth is better. You really need to find your own method that you are comfortable with.

You have started with a more difficult box with 6 smaller drawers and they need to be well fitting. Using the 5mm felt pads on the drawer bases helps and larger felt pads on the base of the box. Initially starting with 2-3 drawer boxes is easier and work up to the ones with smaller and multiple drawers later.

I'm looking forward to seeing more photos from you later on, but looking good so far and little mistakes are soon overcome..

Malcolm

Thank,s for the advice and encouragement i have [[ Teak oil ]] and [[ Danish oil ]] also [[ briwax shellac sanding sealer ]] who and yes briwax dark oak wax polish Mock

not the best finishing but it,s all practice
ALAN

Attachments

• DSCF8267.jpg
    DSCF8267.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF8374.jpg
    DSCF8374.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF8375.jpg
    DSCF8375.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF8619.jpg
    DSCF8619.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF8618.jpg
    DSCF8618.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 115
I found using a router bit with a bearing guide really useful for rounding edges on bandsaw boxes.

Rounding the edges is great on the outside but also creates a really nice transition on the inside of cuts and can draw attention away from any less than perfect bandsaw blade marks.

Not perfect by any means or any where near as complicated as your creations but I'm happy with it nonetheless.

469bfb327c.jpeg

very nice and yes i have a router and table ready to give it a go next time as you say it does make a difference
Alan

Thanks mock, nice to see the finished boxes. I like the multi-drawer, but it's better with more light
mock's box.jpg

James, that's a wonderful box and well done on the edges. If you can make a video of you routing the edges, I would be very interested to see that. I have rounded by hand and it is a bit labourious, but I'm a coward when it comes to a router. We have two, but I havent got to grips with either. Probably need to go on a course or something.

Malcolm

Attachments

• mock's box.jpg
    mock's box.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 62
Will try and get something sorted when I have access to one again. Working at a new school now.

It was in a router table which makes everything that much safer and easier to control. Bearing guided cutters mean you cannot get into corners so a certain amount of work with a chisel and sandpaper to finish.

I haven't made many as it seems like a lot of wood to use for a box.

Back