bandsaw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use these and they are excellent.

Hamilton Edge Tools Ltd
Grange Industrial Estate
Cwmbran, Gwent, NP44 8HQ
Phone: 1633838900

John. B

Where did you get the Starret blades Neil ?

I was after their woodpecker rip blades but gave up trying to find a source for them after even three supposedly local places given to me by Starret themselves (they don't sell direct) proved a waste of time.

Ended up getting some Hamilton Edge one's instead but would still like to try the Starrets........

Cheers, Paul :D

Ah, chisel. Am so sorry I got them from a gent who was retiring. They are 88 inch, would this do you? If so I will send you one, but I fear this is too small for you.

They are SO much better than the others I was using. The one I put in was the only one not boxed (but still new) and even though it was a 1/4 inch it munched thru 7 inched of yew like it didn't exist.

HTH, and if I do hear, in fact I'll ask as he did have some other sizes.

Neil

Thanks Neil, didn't want to nick your's mate :lol:

Need 112", just surprised how difficult Starret seem to make it to buy their stuff. For example, having rung them direct they gave me a number for somewhere 20 miles away and I rang them to find that they (nor anybody else) stock the blades, they just place the order with Starret who then make them up. But after a chat it turned out this particular outlet only dealt with trade accounts anyway so couldn't help!

Rang Starret a second time and got another outlets details, got through to some young lad who wanted to sell me a different make that they had in stock but didn't have the right size, and he proceeded to tell me at great length how 1.3tpi didn't sound like a proper size. Asked him to find out if they could order from Starret for me and of course I never got the promised call back.

The next number I had was for an electrical factors ! The girl from Starret said it wouldn't matter and they could still order for me, I didn't have the patience to go at it for a third time I'm afraid so tracked down Hamilton and got some there just to get it done :roll:

Come back Dragon, pleeeeeze !!!

Hello,

My grandfather uses these guys: http://www.nlstools.co.uk/BsawHdr.html

They've got some starrett blades - not sure if it's the type that you want, though.

Interestingly they're a little more expensive that tilgear for the haakansson silco blades. I was wondering whether that's to do with the quality of weld or some such?

Hope that helps...

Ben

Looks interesting thanks Ben, will give them a call when I've worn the current ones out.

when I've worn the current ones out.
chisel - justa quick question - if I am cutting green wood (yew) will it mess a blade up quicker? Should I be prepping the blade somkehow?
Wasn't a big bit, but have now got stuff stuck all over it.

tia
neil

I know what you mean Neil, had the same when cutting up Paul C's walnut from green.

There's different views on this, but I give the blade a light spray with PTFE spray periodically in use and find that helps both with the cutting in green wood and in keeping the blade a bit cleaner (though not entirely).

Some say that will leave some spray behind on the cut timber and affect finishing etc, but as I'm generally only rough cutting and there's further work to be done later before finishing it doesn't worry me.

There's also a theory that the spray might cause slippage of the blade on the saw tyres and/or damage the rubber coating of the tyres, but again I've not experienced either of those things myself.

Haven't bothered to try cleaning a blade though after I've had the problem (before I started using the spray) I just keep using it till I think the cutting performance has deterioated too far and then replace it.....

hi carl recenly i bought bimetal blades from the saw centre for my kity 613 and the blades are fantastic. i resawn 3 meter 7inch by 5 pine and it was like hot knife through butter they were a bit expensive but brilliant. :lol:

Hi all.

Does Hamilton Edge Tools have a working web site?

Like you all I have been trying to source bandsaw blades, can get their address, but just a blank page when I pull up their site address.

Back