bandsaw blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to buy a bandsaw blade this size : 88" 14tpi 3/8" depth

and after much looking on the shops internet catalog I found one with this description: 88" 3/8" depth, 6 skip

what on earth is skip? 6 skip?

To my understanding a skip tooth blade is where the set is:- left, right center (or no set) then repeat this helps the blade clear the dust created while cutting and help enable extra set to the blade.
The 6 is for 6 teeth to the inch, or other words the pitch of the blade.

What are you cutting? 14 tpi would be for wood 5 or 6mm thick much, to fine for most general work

@Lee:

+1 on the above 2 posts. A skip tooth blade is where a tooth is left ioff the blade (i.e. "skipped") every few teeth. The reason is to clear the sawdust more easily when cutting dense/thick woods.

A few weeks/months ago I hadn't even seen a bandsaw before (OK, perhaps I HAD walked past one once!) but following the advice here I biought Steve Maskery's DVD on bandsaws and some blades from Ian at Tuffsaws.

A visit to the Tuffsaws site will tell you a lot about various types and uses of blades:

(tuffsaws.co.uk)

and a visit to Steve Maskery's site :

(workshopessentials.com)

will tell you all about his training DVDs - i.e. everything you need to know about how to get the best out of a bandsaw - safely.

HTH

AES

+1 for Tuffsaws. None better.
The advantage of a skip blade is that you have small teeth, so a fairly fine cut, but relatively large gullets so you have very good sawdust clearance. Best of both worlds really.
14TPI is a very fine blade. What are you planning to cut?
S

+2 for Ian at Tuffsaws.
His positive advice re choice of blade for my bandsaw made a huge difference.
Answers emails quickly, prompt delivery and competitive prices. Well worth contacting for an expert opinion on bandsaws.

Hi, I just cut oak, pine and some MDF really. Nothing to thick, probably around 3" thickest I cut.

I got the blade I mentioned above, 6tpi skip, 88" 3/8" depth. Seems to be ok, cuts nice and clean. It's a Starrett blade. £9.99 from screwfix.

Ring Ian at Tuffsaws and get his advice first. As well as being knowledgable and extremely helpful, he is competitively priced. There's a very good reason why every thread on here which mentions bandsaw blades, also mentions Tuffsaws. Save your tenner until you've spoken to/emailed him.

Latest posts

Back