Bandsaw Blade Getting Stuck - Advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaminal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been having a problem with the bandsaw. I've got a few lengths of oak board (38mm thick) I've tried to cut into lengths on my Kity 613 - the saw's got a 12 inch cutting height so I'm sure it *should* do it, but the blade is getting stuck in the wood.

Photos! http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/amina ... 38mm%20Oak

I tried sticking a chisel into the cut to hold it apart but even then after another few inches it gets stuck again. any advice? The guides are all set as close to perfect as I can manage, tension is good, blade is only a few months old bought from tuffsaws... I'm lost

Chris

Hi Chris
Sounds like the blade is blunt! I've taken the edge off a new blade cutting chipboard or cutting reclaimed timber with hidden ironwork!! Have you tried cutting something easier?

Maybe try lubricating the blade with a candle to see if that helps.

Regards Keith

Hi Keith - I forgot to mention, I did just that! Ran the bandsaw for a few seconds just before cutting into the oak - I rubbed a candle over each side of the blade but still had the problem of the blade coming to a complete stop... could go for a new blade, though I ran my finger over it (with the saw off) and it feels pretty sharp.

What's the wood like? Is it just that the wood is moving as you cut it and pinching onto the blade?

If so, you need a blade with a bit more set on it. Or else are you using too fine a blade, so the gullets fill up with sawdust and stop the teeth from actually cutting?

A picture or two might help.

follow-up: The problem was the tooth-set on the blade was too narrow. Bought a new blade from toughsaws and it's now sailing through whatever I run through it!

Back