Bandsaw Axminster AWHBS450N

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a short report/review on the above bandsaw purchased new a few days ago.

The bandsaw does what it says on the box as they say.

There were some initial problems and some problems to sort out which I suppose is usually considered normal on imported machinery these days. After all my opinion is that manufacturers on the whole let the customer do the factory inspection pass these days, or many of them anyway.

First major problem to be sorted was the mobile base supplied Jet JMB-UMB universal mobile base, when machine was placed on base the bottom drawer of bandsaw could not be opened. The solution, two lengths of 18mm plywood were laid inside base at ends to raise the saw above mobile base frame enough so door could be opened.

As previously mentioned drive belt is very difficult at the moment to change drive position to alter speed.

A supplied fault is the table surface does not line up at that split table position, the peg when inserted does not align the table flat, however it is very slight and if I do need to ever correct I think a layer of plain typing paper to the right hand side of the split would be enough to correct its fault.

I did have a fright yesterday, the blade bearing tensioning holder went sloppy and the bearing rocked against the blade.

2011_0803table130007.jpg

The manual provided no help, so I stripped down the assembly and with some relief I found this grub screw was not holding the mechanism tightly to the slide bar, as per picture below.

2011_0803table130012.jpg

I think the chinese blade weld rattled a bit when it passed the bearings and I suspect it vibrated the assembly loose. Time will tell.

Fitted a new blade from Ian at Tuff Saws, a 3/4" Super Tuff Fastcut, with a skip tooth 3 tpi. and Ians view is that not so much tension setting is required for this grade of blade, so that makes it easier to tighten up when setting up.
Will report on the blade when it has seen some serious action.

So there is my view and report of the above mentioned Axminster branded bandsaw approaching 14 days since delivery.

Back