bandsaw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
i was given a clarke 12inch 3 wheel bandsaw a while back. Did not really expect to use it much, but it was free so thought, Why not. Well, to my surprise the thing became so usefull, that when it failed recently i found myself missing it.

It was never used for straight cuts, just stuff that you might use a jigsaw for, ie, curves etc.ok it had issues, like blade popping off now and again, rubbish mitre and rubbish fence, but it cut smooth and did what i needed it to do.

I did purchase the axminster 205N a replacement, but after two faulty machines arriving, decided that this is not the one for me. faults were various, including bad vibration on table and broken parts And poor fabrication. Might just have been a bad batch, but did not want the hassle again.

So, which bandsaw would you recommend. I would like to keep budget below £150 ish if possible and just looking for a small unit, portable between my sons house and mine, as long as i have no vibration on table surface and it can cut shapes etc, then i would be happy. Mitre cuts, and straight cuts is what have my TS and mitre saw for.

Ps. did do a google search, but came up with nothing. Do you get more viberation on the table on a bandsaw which has wheel direct mounted than you would a belt driven wheel. i notice that the clarke had belt wheres as the axminster hobby 205N was direct mounted. And neVer had any issues with the clarke.

Thanks in advance

For a small, portable and versatile bandsaw I think your best bet is going to be a secondhand three wheel benchtop saw. Those made in England by Burgess in the 1970s can be surprisingly good, with a decent, powerful motor. Later models, which look similar at first, started to be engineered down to a price and were less solidly built and some had inferior blade guides. Some of those would have been under the DeWalt or B&D brands. Avoid the really recent models, made in China to low quality standards.

So keep an eye on eBay for any local to you (they are usually collection only) or visit a boot fair.

Add a good blade from Tuffsaws and you're away.

PS: a quick search on here for "Burgess bandsaw" or "Tuffsaws" will bring up a lot of relevant posts.

I second Andy's advice for an early Burgess. I have one, with a metal cutting blade, works beautifully, quiet and almost vibration free, never dropped a blade and will cut dead straight. Tuffsaws blade - of course :)

If you can't find a Burgess, i would recommend the baby sceppach baso 1. i have one and am very happy with it, no vibration and very quiet too

Latest posts

Back