bandsaw advice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nads

Established Member
Reaction score
I brought a Record BS350X bandsaw a while back and have only just got a chance to set it up and buy some decent blades (Hamilton edge) for it!
I was using it to cut some 20mm oak x-cut & rip with a 6TPI skip tooth blade, and was surprised by the poor finish of the cut surface :cry:
I realise that a bandsaw will not leave a prefect finish, but the cut surface seems pretty rough almost serrated. I’ve set the blade guide so it sits just above the timber,
and have tried adjusting the speed, which I feed, the timber but this doesn’t seem to make much difference. :?
I was wondering if any of you guys might know what the problem may be, could it be related to the blade tension, or the bearing not being close enough or something,
I’m pretty new to all this, and would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me :).

Thanks again guys :)

Nads

checkout the record web site q & a,record power, also check the maximum depth of cut some are only reccomended to cut 80mm, then higher up the range up to 200mm,check wich model youve got,

check out the buying advice tool reviews ,other members had the same problem but changet the angle of the fence and the blade,/ps ignore the last double post,

The set up may have altered due to it all being new, back off all the guides and do it again make sure the blade is running central ,tension correct etc when finished turn by hand and investigate any roughness.
line up the fence with the slot in the table and try again light cuts to 'run in' the blade . Your looking for a surface that will clean up with a few passes of a hand plane.
My experience is blade not central so back stops out of adjustment.

Thanks for your replies guys! :)

joekid - I'm only cutting 20mm of oak, and my BS350X should cut up to 230mm.

More teeth, didn't think of that? The blade I'm using is a 1/2 inch 6TPI balde which I was advice was for general use?! :?

The real reason I posted this question was because the bandsaws I've used previous at college/school left a far better finish.
I do realise that the college machines where far better than my record, but I wasn't expecting such a poor cut surface finish,
and was wondering if I've set up the bandsaw poorly or something?

Nads

Hi,

Can you post some pictures of the cut surface?
Like you say a bandsaw will never leave as clean a surface as a table saw and it may be your expectations are exceeding your bandsaws capabilities. A picture will tell if your cut surface is normal or not.

Cheers

Yeah the bandsaw blade is the right way, good idea tho! :wink:

I'm not sure how to post pics and don't own a digital camera.
The cut surface is far rougher than the surface produced by my college bandsaws (I do realise that they have far better machines,
that will produce better results).
As OLD says I was expecting a surface which would clean up with a few light passes with a handplane.

OLD - how long does it take to 'run in' a new blade

I was just wondering what setting on the bandsaw could effect the cut surface. e.g blade tension, guide distances off blade etc.
Any further advice anyone?!

Thanks guys!

Nads

Nads, for a dry hard wood like oak I think a 6TPI blade is a bit coarse, there are only 4 teeth in contact at the most on your 20mm, how does it compare with a 6-8 TPI hand saw?, If you were cutting it by hand what saw tooth pitch would you use to meet your expected finish standard?

What sort of Kerf are you getting, have the teeth got an agresive set?

I' try and run a piece of oak through mine latter, I think there is a similar blade on it.

Edit:
DSC01897%20(Small).JPG

Nope tooth pitch not a problem, this one was 3TPI and finish is almost within sanding range, easily within a swipe of a plane.

How does this look compared with yours?

All the settings are important use the handbook and the m/c should run/sound smooth. look at the guides do they run true and maintain the hand book clearances. With a new blade it should be cutting at its best i assume the weld is smooth and flat, careful set up should fix this problem go and do it.
running in 10 mins. just to work harden the teeth.

Latest posts

Back