Band Saw Vs Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarpEnter

Reaction score
Hi All,

While poring through some of the posts, I couldn't help noticing how some recommendations were made for purchasing Bandsaws "or" Table saws.

Any specific advantages of either one over the other ?

Each has it's own uses that the other wont do.
A table saw is the workhorse of any workshop and is likely to be used on everything you make.
A bandsaw can saw curves and at rightangles when sawing tenons which a table saw cant.
While some use bandsaws a lot others, like me, seldom use one.
As with all tools, you want the best within your budget.
I cant think of any job that I havent used my tablesaw and sliding mitresaw on.

I have both a table saw and bandsaw, and find that my table saw is used most. Bandsaws are useful, more so if you do a lot of curved work, turning blanks etc, but for me, I could work without the bandsaw, but not the table saw.

My naive broad level understanding was that other than dados, the bandsaws can do almost everything the table saws can .. plus of course the added advantange of cutting curves.

Am I kinda right ?

KarpEnter":331l2qjb said:
My naive broad level understanding was that other than dados, the bandsaws can do almost everything the table saws can .. plus of course the added advantange of cutting curves.

Am I kinda right ?

Leaving Dados aside, an often discussed subject, in my view, the bandsaw does not give the repeatabilty of accuracy the same as a table saw. Crosscutting is limited by throat on the bandsaw, and panel cutting is also limited. This of course becomes a personal opinion within the bandsaw v table saw debate. A table saw with accurate set up and a sliding table is of far more use than a bandsaw. IMO.

Freetochat":a9z4jb0p said:
A table saw with accurate set up and a sliding table is of far more use than a bandsaw.
But a radial arm saw or a SCMS (sliding compound mitre saw) will often outperform all but the larger sliding tables on table saws - I find that despite having an industrial sliding carraige panel saw. And a RAS is a far safer way to do a housing (dado cut) in the opinion of many

Scrit

I think trying to compare the usefulness of a table v a bandsaw is comparing an apple to an orange. And it all depends on what you want to make.

As to which should be a first buy (was that the original question :? ), I think the largest bandsaw you can afford + an SCMS is a pretty damn versatile combination - more versatile than a tablesaw alone. So what if the rip cut isn't as accurate on a bandsaw as a tablesaw? - that's what planes/planers are for. You'd still use one if you rip on a tablesaw.

That's what would suit me personally, each to their own of course depending on what is being made. I've often wanted to make veneer from logs acquired locally, or to rip logs into useful sections. I have an extremely ancient but venerable Whitehead bandsaw circa 1940's but it is too small to be much use in that respect.

Apart from a basic startup kit (inc. a Scheppach site saw), I've always acquired kit as and when I need it or if a paying job will cover the cost. Having recently acquired a very nice lathe however, I will be saving up for a large bandsaw (probably secondhand though):wink: .

cheers,

ike

You will find a large bandsaw a godsend Ike when you start turning in earnest and want to convert your own timber.

Have spent most of yesterday and today breaking down some of my ridiculousy large log supply into blanks. Not much you can't tackle between a chainsaw and decent bandsaw.

Should have some more space shortly for some new logs, hope the forecast gales and bad weather provide some new windfalls :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Paul.

Back