Band saw box in willow. WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked a few logs out of the in-laws' wood pile yesterday as I fancied having a play and doing something a bit different. They can from a big branch that was awn from a willow tree in there garden.

willowlogs.jpg

There were 5 in total. They've been drying for around 3 years and the ones I picked out seemed to be nice and dry with only the odd small crack. I picked up one of the larger logs (not pictured) and an idea came into my head so I went straight over to the band saw to cut it up.

outerboxroughsawn.jpg

The box looks kind of "chest" shaped. The lid will be hinged and inside there'll be another box.

roughsawnlidoff.jpg

The "inner" box will have an insert on the inside of the lid to locate it into the box. Having no hinges means that it can sit inside the outer box when it's presented.

innerboxroughsawn.jpg

I'm not sure if it looks obvious from the angle of the pictures but the box isn't square, I left the angles as they were on the log and simply trimmed each edge. The very first cut had to be made by hand is it didn't quite fit through the band saw.

I'm thinking of having a go at pyrography on the inner lid as I think it needs something. I'm not sure what finish to go for as the colour is a little too light but the pattern in the wood is nice so I don't want to lose that.

I'll sand all the pieces down this week and think about the finishing and glue-up for next weekend.

All thoughts welcome.....
Thanks

adzeman":8x7atcrp said:
Looks interesting. What kind of design are you thinking to apply?

not sure yet to be honest. Maybe just a simple picture on the lid of the inner box. Something like a flower or even a pattern in the top-left and bottom-right corner. I just think it needs something? :?

I can't believe it's so long since I started this :oops:

I've had a big tidy up in the 'shop this week and I've built my bench since I began this so I thought it was time to finish this one off! :cool:

It's all glued up. I need to decide on a catch/clasp/lock for the outer box and then decide on the finish. As of yet I'm still not sure exactly how I'll finish it :?

bigbox.jpg

smallbox.jpg

2boxes.jpg

This picture shows the smaller box inside the outer box. Notice the grain pattern. I want to keep this even when oiled/stained? The markings through the centre of the log flow right through both boxes which I quite like.

smallinsidebig.jpg

Any suggestions on finish would be gratefully received.

Thanks for looking ;)

Back