Band saw BLADE is coming off - help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obraz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I have a small table top band saw, I put the saw on and sounds fine and free then the moment I put pressure on it it pings off. Can someone help and recommend what I'm doing wrong? Or a replacement if I have no hope.

Cheers

several possibilities.
If it tracks fine when no load is applied and with the teeth of the blade just before the centre of the wheel, then the top wheel is in the right position.
Most obvious question is how tight is the belt? If you open the top cover and "ping" the blade just before it gets to the top wheel you should hear a nice note. If its a dull "boing" then the belt is too loose.

Assuming the blade falls backwards, there should be a rear adjusting bearing to stop that. You should adjust the rear bearing so that the blade runs without touching it, but when you push the blade back with your hand it should stop the blade before the teeth are squeezed between the side bearings.
After that, its what are you cutting and how hard are you pushing?

This is the most widely used guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

good point phil, I didnt look at the header, just read the text, and neither are mentioned.
we will wait and see.

Hello

Yes this has solved it, I've only just got round to trying it out. I also think the price of wood I've been trying to cut was too thick for it. Cheers for the help.

Oli

Oli

If the price (lol) of wood is able to fit between the guide and table it is not too thick, that is the bandsaw's design depth of cut, many things suggest themselves, duff blade, blunt blade, feeding through too fast/too slow, speed of blade too slow, does your machine have different speed settings?

Mike

Price here

It's a new blade so should be sharp, I use good amount of pressure to cut through items and there are no speed settings. It's an old small machine (https://www.gumtree.com/p/power-saws/bl ... 1247008826) I don't know what I'm doing wrong, the blade is the right way round and the wood is a bit half the thinkness of the guide/table distance.

Cheers

dont push too hard. you have to let the teeth cut the wood.
Just use 1 thumb pressure, and watch the blade. It should move back a little bit and maybe touch the rear bearing, but if you see it starting to twist or your thumb starts to hurt and turn white then you are pushing too hard. The thicker the wood, the slower it will cut.

Back