Band saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leverb01507

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good second hand bandsaw to look out for, i really want something with at least 10" under the guides that i could fit a 1" blade to for resaw work as this is what it would mostly be used for.
Thanks

startrite 352 - often on ebay (though 3 phase easy enough to run on an inverter) - only problem is they are sought after and consequently not cheap

Hopefully around the 500-600 mark but i dont mind waiting longer to get a bargain at a local auction or tool sale, id rather save money than time at the moment (especially as im workshopless until i can get the new workshop cleared lol). Has anybody got experience with axminsters own range of bandsaws. Do you think i need a full inch blade or will 3/4 be good enough for deep resawing? Im really only getting it so i can saw cut veneers and make thin kerf cuts for bent laminated work.
cheers

I was using a 3/4" blade the other day and, with the fence adjusted correctly, it made an almost-perfectly straight and true cut. My point is, you don't really 'need' a 1" blade for this. Some people have even done it carefully with narrower blades.

For depth of cut, you should really be looking at the size of the motor rather than what you can fit under the guides... If you'll regularly be looking to make 10" deep cuts then, you won't want to be looking for anything less than a 1,500w/2HP motor - or, bigger still, if you can get it.

Great thanks for the advice. Are the motors on the startright saws externally mounted as i might be able to change one for a single phase unit. Ive got a very old Oliver jointer that was three phase which my grandad (he used to an engineer) fitted a single phase motor too for me by making some new brackets and pulleys, might this be achievable on the band saw?

Latest posts

Back