baldwin hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
just brought a nice pair of baldwin hinges for a front door I'm making.

there really nicely made and only coat £15. I'm guessing these are no longer made? the remarkable thing about them is the holes are in ectly the same place on every leaf.
did they make anything else?

I think there a different company as Google tells me the design was patented in 1775. baldwins foundry was in Stourport on Severn and made hinge until it closed in 1956.

the cast iron hinges we're quite tricky to make. casting one half inserting the pin then casting the other half.

Yes they are brilliant and well worth recycling. The making of them is quite unbelievable! The Baldwin hinge
Sash pulleys made the same way with the wheel first and the casing cast around it.

I think there a different company as Google tells me the design was patented in 1775. baldwins foundry was in Stourport on Severn and made hinge until it closed in 1956.

the cast iron hinges we're quite tricky to make. casting one half inserting the pin then casting the other half.
They also machined the meeting faces of the first casting which made the second casting a perfect fit. Amazing!

@johnnyb I recently made a new door for a customer, the original door was on Baldwin hinges but they were cracked so needed replacing.

I ordered some new "traditional" 4"cast hinges from Ironmongery Direct, what turned up was absolute junk so I then ordered some secondhand Baldwins off ebay.

The hinge on the left is a used Baldwin from ebay, probably 100 years old, the one on the right believe it or not is a new hinge from Ironmongery Direct........says it all really

Baldwin hinge.jpg

@johnnyb I recently made a new door for a customer, the original door was on Baldwin hinges but they were cracked so needed replacing.

I ordered some new "traditional" 4"cast hinges from Ironmongery Direct, what turned up was absolute junk so I then ordered some secondhand Baldwins off ebay.

The hinge on the left is a used Baldwin from ebay, probably 100 years old, the one on the right believe it or not is a new hinge from Ironmongery Direct........says it all really

View attachment 168221
That's looks dreadfully made. See how they have only made a pattern for oneside. The baldwins were made without a pin believe it or not. One side was made and the other side cast in using stuff to stop them catching to tightly.quite a process.
There are other makers of Ci hinges from the past but baldwins were and still are the best( always put the last bit in by hand otherwise....crack!)
They made 2, 21/2, 3 and 4 that I've seen. In slightly different formats.
The 3 inch are fairly common but 4 inch for outside doors are becoming rarer. The 2 and 21/2 aren't common either. I've got some huge brass hinges I brought cheap. I think there projection hinges now I just need king Charles to get in touch wanting a new door on buck house!

Anyone know the difference between 200 and 333? Seem to recall 333 are really thick but the old grey matters failing me here.

Here's a 200 and a 320 side by side. The 200 is a baldwin and the 320 is a james. 320 has an extra knuckle. Both 3 inch.

Attachments

• 20231023_134256.jpg
    20231023_134256.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back