Bad habits. I know I shouldn't, but I still do...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trusting your tablesaw ruler and having to manually measure from the blade to the fence every single time even though I knew it would be right.
I don't either. I might if I had a Martin panel saw but meanwhile I use a steel 600mm or metre rule with a sliding stop to set the fence. I think it's better to transfer dimensions than measure them if possible.
Same for small stuff, I use the sliding combination square to transfer dimensions at least as often as I measure with it. You need a good hardened one for easy sliding adjustments.

Must say I have had nothing but good experiences at EO Burton. Never been an issue getting a pack of Walnut, Oak etc out to choose the boards I want. I would speak to Andy always helped me.
Think the reason for the wait would be down to the fact if they don’t take there break at said times they loose them.
Don’t know if you have come across hardwood offcuts shop along doddinghurst road but Tim there is always very helpful too
And if you want to take a drive to Kent exotic timbers/timberline are great too, if your after anything a little more exotic they have most species there
That's weird, but good to get another opinion I suppose.

Regarding the breaks, I wouldn't want anybody to miss one because they are important, but that's not a customer issue it's a management issue. It's up to them to sort it out. All IMO 😊

Martin

Over thinking is something I relate to
Especially with electrics ! ( which is probably good ) so I double and triple check !
Over thinking everything interrupts my sleep !
Yep. I've had various forms of insomnia since I was a teenager. It's why I work for myself: I struggle to fit into a standard 9-5 as I can reliably get up early. Some days I don't get up until 3 in the afternoon and end up working throughout the night.

Must say I have had nothing but good experiences at EO Burton. Never been an issue getting a pack of Walnut, Oak etc out to choose the boards I want. I would speak to Andy always helped me.
That's good to know you had a good experience. If I go back, I'll seek out Andy. Thanks for the rec.

Yep. I've had various forms of insomnia since I was a teenager. It's why I work for myself: I struggle to fit into a standard 9-5 as I can reliably get up early. Some days I don't get up until 3 in the afternoon and end up working throughout the night.
Hello from a fellow ‘owl’. Recognise any of these?:

- ‘The driver will collect your package between 0730 and 0745 tomorrow’. Oh god. How many alarms will I have to set? Rest of evening spent planning the wake-up mission.
- The b ugger then turns up at 0725 and starts thumping on the door while you’re struggling into a shirt in bleary-eyed fashion.
- ‘Larks’, who naturally pop awake at 0530, telling how easy it is - ‘just go to bed earlier’.
- Same ‘larks’ start yawning at 2130, so you can say, ‘it’s easy, just get up later’.

- The peace and quiet when everyone’s gone to bed, and left you to your book.

Hello from a fellow ‘owl’. Recognise any of these?:

- ‘The driver will collect your package between 0730 and 0745 tomorrow’. Oh god. How many alarms will I have to set? Rest of evening spent planning the wake-up mission.
- The b ugger then turns up at 0725 and starts thumping on the door while you’re struggling into a shirt in bleary-eyed fashion.
- ‘Larks’, who naturally pop awake at 0530, telling how easy it is - ‘just go to bed earlier’.
- Same ‘larks’ start yawning at 2130, so you can say, ‘it’s easy, just get up later’.

- The peace and quiet when everyone’s gone to bed, and left you to your book.
All very relatable!

I tend to only order from companies who are willing to leave items in a safe spot (usually behind my green bin or down the alley). That way I don't even have to answer the door. I have also taken to sleeping in shorts and a t-shirt so I don't have to get dressed straight from bed.

Winter is tough, though. Some days I don't see any sunlight at all. Thankfully I live on my own so my terrible schedule doesn't affect others, or reverse.

It's maddening that people who don't have this issue just think it's an issue of setting a routine. If it were that easy, no one would choose to live like this.

Still have emotional damage from when we shifted from imperial to metric in 1967.
Don't measure twice, cut once - measure for or five times at least.

It's maddening that people who don't have this issue just think it's an issue of setting a routine. If it were that easy, no one would choose to live like this.
I’m not quite as bad as you, but certainly enough to get called ‘lazy’ for getting up late, even though the accuser never asks when I went to sleep. My usual routine, if left alone, is sleep at 2am, up at 10am. Any attempts to change it are exhausting, and there’s a very strong pressure to reassert it. I’ve been west to the USA, and east to Hong Kong, and it’s the same.

I read that, in evolutionary terms (aka plausible bullsh1t, as one lecturer put it), different circadian rhythms allowed someone to always be on watch and keeping the home fires burning.

I read that, in evolutionary terms (aka plausible bullsh1t, as one lecturer put it), different circadian rhythms allowed someone to always be on watch and keeping the home fires burning.
I hate the lazy accusations, especially when I generally work longer than most people who blag barely a few productive hours per day at the office, but of course, no one sees that. Oh well.

I guess that theory makes sense. There are definitely advantages to having people who are active during the night. And of course, there is the diaspora that moved north where that was greatly reduced sunlight. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think Dawinian forces played a part there.

Basically, I should have been a Viking ;)

Analyse a problem.
Believe you have worked out what the issues are.
Then close your mind to the fact that you may well be wrong.
After I have done this, I have a sleepless night questioning ....
Why doesn't it work ?
Finally I have to admit I :stuffed up " !
Then fix it.

my dad was super tidy.....I'm getting there after 72 years.....hahaha...it drives her indoors nuts....
but
he said, wish someone would invent "Sky Hooks" to ease the storage probs...

Back