Backlighting a translucent marble slab

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
The requirement: to backlight a translucent marble slab; the slab is octagonal, about 500mm diameter and about 15mm thick (fyi, it is to be fitted into a table top). The light source should be battery powered (between 3 and 6V preferably) -- I would guess some form of LED bulbs are required. The depth of the 'light fitting' should be as small as reasonably possible. And not too expensive !!! The aim is to provide a gentle 'glow', at least bright enough to show in normal room lighting, and preferably when the room is illuminated by daylight.

Ideas (as specific as possible in terms of the bulbs etc. needed would be appreciated), especially from anyone that has actually done something similar.

You could have a look at led strip lighting often used under kitchen cupboards. This may provide a fairly even light, low profile/height, and work with low voltage battery pack.

Good luck

Terry

If you are intending seeing the glow in daylight then I suspect it will be quite bright under electric lighting and it would need a bright light source too. That would mean a large capacity battery pack me-thinks?

I have back lit a glass/bronze ornament and used a 3 watt led bulb, mains fed and it looks really good. If you can do it then I look forward to the photos!!

This is how I did my lamp. It faces the wall and reflects off of the wall paper. When it faced the ornament it showed a high spot but facing the wall it looks good for me.

Back