Backing pads for random orbit sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siggy_7

Full time tool collector, part time woodworker
Reaction score
I recently bought a Metabo 150mm ROS and have been using Abranet discs. I am aware that because of the design of Abranet, the velcro on my sander's backing pad will wear out unless I use an interface pad - so I bought a pack from Axminster. However, these are quite thick and very soft. For sanding of large areas these work ok, but when sanding across an edge the lack of rigidity is leading to serious rounding of the job being sanded. What do other users do in such a situation - are there rigid interface pads available as an alternative? I'd like to get on top of this soon, because I am hoping to make some exterior doors out of cedar - from prior experience, I'll need to do a lot of sanding of the stock from the planer to get an acceptable finish as it leaves a rough finish when planed due to its softness (even with fresh knives).

Coincidentally, I was recently in the same position as you: one Metabo ROS and desire to use Abranet. Saw that others had suggested an interface pad so looked at Mirka (Abranet manuf.) and Metabo interface pads and replacement pads.

My conclusions were:

- interface pads are designed for using on curves; hence they're spongy/soft, as you've found.
- I couldn't find a rigid interface pad.
- for flat surfaces you need to use the ROS without an interface pad, just its original backing pad.
- The ROS pad is a consumable and iirc can be replaced for circa £16, so cost/use works out reasonable versus spending money on interface pads just to save the original pad.

HTH.

I use these http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/M ... ector.html. They are pretty flat and don't seem to round over the edges at all (I also have a softer one similar to what you describe for curved sanding but I don't bother to use it much as I generally hand sand them)

A lot cheaper to replace than £16! (and I use a mirka so the main pad is £30 to replace for me)

Cheers, Tom

You raise a good point. I use Festool orbital sanders because they sell replacement hard pads, which really help keep edges crisp, if they did super hard pads then I'd get those instead!

Thanks for your responses. Tom, I guess those pad protectors are thinner and much firmer than the ones I have been using to date then? I'll give them a try and see if they improve the sanding performance. Cheers.

Whilst ordering supplies from decorating direct (just a customer, no connection etc) I noticed they do abranet 'pad saver discs' so added one to my order - just received. I went for the 21 hole disc. This has 6 holes in the right place for my Metabo ROS but slightly smaller diameter than optimal (I enlarged with a paper hole punch) but think the 51 hole disc is the right one (slightly larger holes) for Metabo.

The disc is thin and reasonably hard - just felt like material on one side and hardish plastic on the other. Not used for any length of time but it seems likely to provide a reasonably economical solution (as long as p&p doesn't impact - I always manage to order more than their £45 min !).

Obviously not one for the professionals, but..

I made this hand pad from velcro glued to some roughly round ply with foam on the back a few months ago. I have found it really useful to have 80 grit on to knock over edges. The velcro is very strong.

To the left is some 3mm ply which I am making a adapter so I can put round pads onto my mouse sander. I do have a ROS but I want to use this to sand some horrible finishes.

I have over 50m of the hook tape, but can't find the loop at the moment, so it has come to a halt.

Attachments

• HandPad.jpg
    HandPad.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 88

Latest posts

Back