B&Q Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyos

Established Member
Reaction score
HI folks
I bought this cheap planer from B&Q and it smooths my board well, but my problem is that after 3 or 4 passes I end up with a tapered board. Is it to do with me applying uneven pressure? or is there a setting I need to adjust? The fence is set 90 degree.

guyos

I'm not familiar with your planer, but it sound's like your tables are out of alignment. You can adjust them(usually), but this can take awhile with some.

Hi,
Is it a portable hand planer or a fixed benchtop planer?

If its the fixed benchtop planer you are posting about then, I cannot help.

However, if it is the portable hand planer you are asking about then, I can see your problem. I brought a cheap electric hand plane from argos a long time ago and in my experience with it, I found it does taper also. I put it down to it being only a very small planer, compared to the long piece I was trying to plane. What I would end up doing was dropping in where needed to get rid of the taper, or even planing in the opposite direction per pass. I only used mine for fitting doors mainly into existing frames, I wouldn't attempt to use it for more intricate work.

Hi is it this one.

planer%20bolted.jpg

If it is I don't think there is any adjustment for the tables. This may be a daft question but are you planning the board cupped face down first? You could check the blades are correctly fitted and they are level.

joiner_sim It is a fixed bench planer. I am planing cupped face down, the blades look level and I can't see any means of adjustment.
Pressure on the left, not the right
does this mean it can be the way I apply pressure on the workpiece? if so I will have to check each pass and adjust pressure to be heavier on the high side. I thought planers automatically planed flat and equal on both sides. Do the proper planers get affected by uneven pressure also?
Thanks for the replies.
guyos

That looks identical to the sip planer we used to have - is the table adjuster not that big red knob on the right?

Do you mean tapered across the width rather than along the length?

I am not speaking from experience but have you checked that the blades are parallel with the table? They may not be seated properly or its a duff machine?

Tin

tinbasher tapered across the width, as far as I can see the blades are parallel with the table. The big red knob on the right adjusts the depth of cut.
guyos

Hi, you can adjust the baldes by slackening off the retaining screws. The trick is to ensure the blades are set to the tables. Steve Maskery has it on one of his DVDs. You need to check the blades by lifting the in feed table up and then place two strips of masking tape parrallel to the fence on the infeed table. Put a strip of wood across the infeed and out feed table, mark a pencil line where the wood rests on the masking tape, and rotate , by hand, the blade carrier so it hits the wood and moves it forward down the infeed table, now remark the tape. Repeat the process on the other end of the blade carrier. Both marks on each piece of tape should measure the same distance. I think thats the correct proceedure, anyhow worked for me when I changed my blades.

planer%20blade.jpg

Jack55 that is the one, I will have a go at adjusting the blades as you describe thanks for being helpful, I think that may do it.

guyos

Latest posts

Back