B&Q Massive price increase ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree entirely, Peter. As far as I am concerned, a rip-off involves dishonesty or fraud.

For example, if I commissioned a piece of furniture from solid timber and was quoted for solid timber, but was supplied with veneered mdf, then I have been ripped off.

If, on the other hand, I got the piece from solid timber but the quote price was 3x the going rate, thenI have not been ripped off. I know what I am getting for my money so it's my choice.

However, I've had this debate on here before and I seemed to be in the minority.

Dave

Dave S":1yp8eyj7 said:
If, on the other hand, I got the piece from solid timber but the quote price was 3x the going rate, thenI have not been ripped off. I know what I am getting for my money so it's my choice.

in those circumstances i'd agree - but if you had been compelled to go to that vendor despite their being really expensive because you had no other option ... that would be a rip off

likewise with peters example i agree that his half day rate shouldnt be simply half his whole day rate - but i would expect a craftsman to charge a reasonable and transparent half day rate (like for example half his whole day rate plus his travelling time/call out fee) - if he charged damn nearly the same as his day rate because he was the only craftsman in town and thus had a captive audience i might have to pay it but i would feel ripped off in consequence.

jlawrence":smrqbrr2 said:
The cutting surface is handy. But only if they happen to have someone working who is trained to use the saw - round here that never seems to be when I go in :(.

Last time I wanted some 12mm mdf ripping down I thought I'd give him the finished sizes I wanted. Big mistake, I asked for a 8x4 sheet to be ripped into 7 inch strips of varying proportions. Not one of them measured 7 inches across and none of them were equal in size.

Fortunatley it was for rough work and didn't need to be spot on.

Its a shame though as the panel saw looks like an excellent piece of kit if not a little complex (measurement wise) for the average worker to suss out.

Latest posts

Back