B and Q worktop quality

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently re doing our kitchen using cooke and lewis range from BQ also their worktops. Kitchen is a horseshoe shape so quite alot of work.

The worktops are 38mm post formed edge in Balsat Slate £78.00 for 3m. They are cut in with masons mitres etc and I've marked out for the sink and now I'm getting nervous :)

After I had the mitres done I did notice that along the middle of the edge, there were some areas that sounded hollow when tapped ie the laminate had come unstuck - not masses of it but here and there it was noticeable. The rounded corners where not hollow. Now on very close inspection with worktop edge up on the floor I can see hairline cracking along the top of the curve and this hairline is most obvious adjacent to the hollow sounding areas. Most people wouldnt notice this at all, its hardly visible. I'm now getting that sinking feeling that months after install, this edge will start cracking as its where the laminate is most stressed....

So my question is 1) are their worktops really poor quality 2) do you think I'm right to be nervous or am I worrying unduly? 3) do we know who makes these tops?

depending on answers to above, I may change the tops for something else and fight for a refund. I really really dont want to fully fit the tops only for them to crack in 12mths time.

PS I know the big orange shed gets a lot of stick but there is an element of getting what you pay for so I'm trying to be a bit pragmatic!

I know a guy who does kitchen fitting and he hates it when customers have bought B&Q worktops, He has lost count the amount of router bits ruined by bits of metal inside. My daughters boyfriend has just left a job where they supplied the sheds with worktops, it was at shildon near durham. They could get the worktops for £30. I worked for a pallet company for many years and all of our scrap wood with hundreds of nails and floor sweepings would get skipped to direct worktops at aycliffe.
I suppose for the sake of a few £ do you want to take the chance of it looking pants in 3 months

I would not risk it ,try and get a refund, when a friend and i fit any kitchen we only use Duropal worktops and never have any comebacks, we once did an ikea supplied by the customer and it was fill with all sorts of rubbish,the tops are the most time consuming and if you have to redo them its a lot of hassle taking the sink and hobs out if fitted,
regards david

Another vote for Duropal worktops from me..! If I'm supplying & fitting a set of laminate worktops, they are my go to choice.
You may pay more for them than the BandQ offering, but the difference is like chalk & cheese.

ok, found a stockist 20miles away. Duropal comes in 2m and 4m apparently (no 3m) 4m is £109 plus vat - does this sound about right?

It's worth the extra money to fit and forget and I would also buy the colorfil joining sealant the supplier should be able to get the correct colour match for the worktop

thanks for the comments :) have spoken with the retailer and because the worktops have been cut to size they dont want to know so seems thats £150 down the pan :roll:

Going back to the recommends for Duropal, isnt whats happened to me a fabrication fault rather than a laminate fault or does Duropal have different qualities that means its less likely to come unstuck/ crack?

Matt@":29641hxn said:
thanks for the comments :) have spoken with the retailer and because the worktops have been cut to size they dont want to know so seems thats £150 down the pan :roll:

Going back to the recommends for Duropal, isnt whats happened to me a fabrication fault rather than a laminate fault or does Duropal have different qualities that means its less likely to come unstuck/ crack?

Hello,

I'd insist on a refund. It is not as if you changed your mind about the colour, the worktops were defective and it was a defect that you only detected when cutting. Speak with a manager, the store staff just peddle the no refund line as a matter of course, but don't have the authority to refund for a defect.

Mike.

I bought these online so rang the call centre. Spoke with a lady and pushed her very hard in a 20 min call. She put me on hold and referred to her manager 3 times during the call. I will give the manufacturer a ring in the morning and ask them what they think I should do. I spoke to them this afternoon and after telling the guy the fault he agreed that I should not fit them....

If the laminate is crazed on the post formed edge as you describe, it does sound like a manufacturing fault!!! It could have taken a whack but then you would be able to feel the dent in the laminate.

Unfortunately, it's probably too late now to expect BandQ to take them back as they have already been cut and trimmed to size.
As a general rule, the worktops really should have been checked thoroughly prior to starting to fit them. My trade Duropal supplier requests that all worktops are checked immediately upon delivery to me and that I notify them within 24 hours if I find anything wrong. They won't accept any responsibility once they have been cut and fitted.

Tim.

Tim, just to clear something up - are Duropal worktops manufactured by Duropal or are they worktops manufactured elsewhere using Duropal laminate? sorry a little confused here....

yes definately a manufacturers fault. This hairline cracking would not be noticiable to the average person unless pointed out to them. Its only because I had the top edge up in the light and I was tapping away at the hollow bits with my finger I suddenly saw the faint cracking....

Matt@":h41tc56f said:
Tim, just to clear something up - are Duropal worktops manufactured by Duropal or are they worktops manufactured elsewhere using Duropal laminate? sorry a little confused here....

yes definately a manufacturers fault. This hairline cracking would not be noticiable to the average person unless pointed out to them. Its only because I had the top edge up in the light and I was tapping away at the hollow bits with my finger I suddenly saw the faint cracking....

Hi Matt,
Duropal is indeed the laminate manufacturer, but the worktops themselves are made by Pfleider Industries who own Duropal. They are a German company. Trust me, you will not be disappointed as the quality is very good and is the best laminate worktop you can buy in my opinion. I've been supplying & fitting them for 35 years.

well, well I emailed B&Q late last night to raise a complaint and emailed the manufacturer at the same time outlining the issue and B&Qs stance and I suggested to the manufacturer I wanted a refund and they emailed me back 9.30 this morning to offer a full refund. So far no response from B&Q :roll:

lets see if the refund materialises :)

You can check all you like but a hollow or chunk of metal in the substrate will not be evident until you run a router or saw through it. For that reason, it's best to buy decent worktops in the first place and Duropal are right up there as the best for the money. I fitted a couple of kitchens bought from B&Q and that was enough for me; more trouble than they are worth. Think the Cooke and Lewis cabinets are decent but the worktops from there are rubbish and i think (though not certain) that they stock Wilsonart worktops. There are loads of makes out there but Duropal are always good quality and it pays to shell out a bit more for something that is a pain in the rear to have to replace.

Matt@":9fk8o8ut said:
well, well I emailed B&Q late last night to raise a complaint and emailed the manufacturer at the same time outlining the issue and B&Qs stance and I suggested to the manufacturer I wanted a refund and they emailed me back 9.30 this morning to offer a full refund. So far no response from B&Q :roll:

lets see if the refund materialises :)

That is definately a good result under the circumstances Matt!!!....Fingers crossed that BandQ come up with your refund.

Back