axminster white machine paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head clansman

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

does anyone know do axminster sell machine paint in white so a machine can be repainted , i don't seem to be able to fine any on the website unless i'm missing something . hc

head clansman":34hcuial said:
hi all

does anyone know do axminster sell machine paint in white so a machine can be repainted , i don't seem to be able to fine any on the website unless i'm missing something . hc

Martin they used to, and may still do give customers a small pot of paint when you bought a machine from them, because I got one when I purchased my Axminster/Jet 54A planer. Give them a ring and they might send you some. How much do you need?

Cheers

Mike

head clansman":3n06mmrb said:
hi mike

enough to repaint an m950 lathe which is at the moment is blue . hc :roll:

Oh! I thought that you might need some for a touch up. :oops: In that case I am sorry that I cannot help.
As I said I would give Axminster a ring and ask them where they get the paint from, and see if you can buy a tin from them.

Cheers

Mike

I remembered this coming up a while ago:

RAL Nos 9010 for White, 7015 for Grey. (from Richard@Axminster)

Brendan

Why the change of colour - does it clash with your other machines?

My 950 is still in its original blue colour, and I'm sure that if I painted it white that it wouldn't improve my poor and basic turning skills.

Misterfish

hi

simply put i don't like blue , i just bought an old axminster lathe the m950 which i pick up on friday and while it's in bits It's a good time to refurbish it, clean all the rust away check the bearing over & drives make any repair that may be necessary etc so it's a good time to repaint it as well. hc

head clansman":24frdf00 said:
hi

simply put i don't like blue , i just bought an old axminster lathe the m950 which i pick up on friday and while it's in bits It's a good time to refurbish it, clean all the rust away check the bearing over & drives make any repair that may be necessary etc so it's a good time to repaint it as well. hc

Nothing wrong with a colour coordinated workshop. I'm not saying that we should let SWMBO in there to design it, because we are sure to end up with flowery curtains and coasters, but having the machines in a nice shade of Axminster white lends itself to a classy place to work :lol:

Cheers

Mike

I too was looking for the Axminster paint colour to touch up an AW19FM morticer I recently bought second hand on EBay. A few hours earlier I placed an order for cast iron radiators for our study. my partner wanted "Off White" so I ordered them in, you guessed it , RAL 9010! Do you think she will let me bring my morticer inside now?

Do you guys find that normal hammerite or whaterver you have like that
does not give satisfactory results ? ...

Or does the axminster paint not chip off when painted over another machines paint ?
is it viberation / scratch / oil resistant ?

it would be nice to have bright machines in the shop though 8)
thanks

S'funny how we all have different ideas as to what a colour conveys in terms of 'classy' or dull and so on. For about 30 years I've used BMC/BL engine lacquer green for tools such as vices and so forth that I've restored. Hammerite smoothrite green, hammered blue and grey have been used on larger items. To me these are the colours of useful utility, what I expect from my tools. White always seems impractical to me as it looks dirty quickly. So how do the manufacturers decide? One colour, two tone, stripes, font and so forth. I assume none have the resources to carry out 'market reearch' so how do they decide that blue should be ditched for green/yellow for example. Incidentally my Record pillar drill was cheap as it was in the 'old' colour scheme :) I've just bought an unbranded bobbin sander and yes, it came in white.

Tony Comber

BMac,

Sorry to drop in on this one, I have several Jet machines, is the RAL paint No 9010 unique to Axminster (ie only purchased from there) or is it a universal paint No for that particular colour.

Thanks, David

Bluekingfisher":cn22g3h3 said:
BMac,

Sorry to drop in on this one, I have several Jet machines, is the RAL paint No 9010 unique to Axminster (ie only purchased from there) or is it a universal paint No for that particular colour.

Thanks, David

A RAL no. is a universal colour no.

Most paint suppliers will be able to match to a RAL no

shipbadger":3l30br6u said:
...White always seems impractical to me as it looks dirty quickly. So how do the manufacturers decide? One colour, two tone, stripes, font and so forth. I assume none have the resources to carry out 'market reearch' so how do they decide that blue should be ditched for green/yellow for example...

Generally, a product developing company will have industrial designers who will work with the other designers (mechanical and electrical etc...) to design an optimum performing product that also fits with the "design philosphy" of the company, which is usually something that has been developed over a time to be cost efficient and also convey the intended messages, like "cheap and tough" or "prestige and perfect", this will be linked to certain features and colour schemes, cheap products may not have nice rubber overmolds and expensive fasteners, whereas the expensive produts might have polished metal parts, slick graphics etc... which you can all see in cars, electronics etc... So a new product is designed to this methodology and when it's been reviewed and determiend to fit with the correct categories by the experts in doing this, it and a range of options are and presented to the marketing department who then say "I like... I mean the customer likes, this one but in this colour with this bit and that bit from the other one and as small as my iPod." The resulting chimera looks nothing like the original product, doesn't fit with any previous designs to give a family look and is quite often so hideous it's offensive. That fans, is how product colour schemes are chosen!

Aidan

Back