Axminster Ultimate Edge problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starcott

Established Member
Reaction score
Have recently purchased an Ultimate Edge Sharpener and have just been setting it up.

Having now completed the set up, I have found the belts are very noisy with the slightest amount of pressure from the chisel being sharpened.

This means the chisel vibrates. It sounds as if the join in the belt is affecting its smooth running.

I would be interested to know from anyone who has one of these machines, how well they get on with their sharpening.

Does the belt run without any banging on the item being sharpened.

Thank you.

I don`t have one either but was considering getting one.
@MARK.B. might be right but also the quality of belts can vary a lot even for normal belt sanders.
I have had some very "lumpy" belts before. Now I stick to Mirka hiolit or the ones from machine mart ( might be Klingspor ) these both have nice flat diagonal joints which are smooth and don`t bounce or judder.

Ollie

The noise is normal if it is being caused by the belt. The joint isn't always completely flat but I've never found this to affect use of the machine, and this is the same with a range of belts.

I found it was quite a poor design tbh. acceptable for chisels but nowhere near a tormek on planes( ie longer stuff. the edges were uneven. tormek once it's ground minute on the stones done. the ue ten minutes or more to remove the uneven bits.

Thank you for the comments.

The belt I am using is on that came with the machine, which has the facility to rotate the belt forwards or backwards.

Even when using the smallest amount of pressure on the chisel against the rotating belt, there is a noticeable bang on the belt, which is felt through the chisel.

I had hoped for a better quality from Axminster.

Back