Axminster TS-200 Table Flatness

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiderlane

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies for yet another TS-200 thread!

I picked up a TS-200 in the recent Axminster pricing shenanigans, and have spent the weekend setting up and fettling. I've read pretty much every TS-200 thread on here and and pretty familiar with all the general limitations, workarounds and improvements that people have done.

Checking the table for flatness I can get my 0.25mm feeler gauge under my straightedge in a few places. There is a bit of a crown near the blade slot and the left and right sides are a high leading to a sort of very shallow "W" shape. I know that this a hobby saw and it was a good price so I'm not expecting absolute perfection however I'm wondering whether this is anything worth trying to do anything about? Part of me feels it should be a little better than that but the other part says that I should just accept it and get on with making stuff with it.

I'd be keen to hear some views about this, especially from owners of this same saw. Do I get in touch with Axminster and arrange an exchange or is that likely to be no better (or worse)? Should I expect tighter tolerances than this, or is this about right for this grade of equipment?

Cheers
Mark

The APT, TS-200, Looks like a pretty decent entry level saw bench to me, you should see the stuff I have to use, sometimes, (not in my workshop)!
I would say get on with some woodwork, and put those feeler gauges away.
As long as it cuts square, straight and clean then that's all you need.
If working to exacting standard is you're "bag" then marquetry and veneering are jobs that need a scalpel and steady hand.
I'm probably not the only one who would be happy if all my work was within 10 thou.
Regards Rodders.

Thanks Wizard. I'm fairly new to woodworking machinery so I'm just trying to gauge what's to be expected at this level.

0.25mm max variance seems fine for woodworking, yes?

Cheers
Mark

Any piece of wood you are likely to saw with that bench is going to move more than that 10 thousandths of an inch or so (3-4 human hairs breath) over night if left in the workshop.

Just get on and use it, measure the same areas in mid summer it will be different.

I've had one for a few years now, for the price it's a great saw. I couldn't find anything close.

It's not the most powerful so hardwoods are a slow process, but it gets there in the end. The only thing I don't like is the aluminium insert, there's too much flex. And the problem is you can really make your own as there isn't enough depth.

I made a T-square fence for my, copied from Askwoodman on youtube. That transformed it, plus an extension wing so I can cut about 900mm wide. Come to think of it, that saw has been butchered.

Attachments

• T square fence.jpg
    T square fence.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 70
Back