Axminster show discounts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benpointer

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, brand new member so apols if this is a dumb question...

I'm looking to purchase a range of machinery to set me up for retirement and spend a bit more time on making sawdust. I know Yandles have regular shows and often offer good show deals on their machinery (presumably mainly Charnwood & Record). Does anyone know if Axminster tools do the same or similar? When I was there just after Christmas the sales guy was very coy about possible discounts.

I'm looking to get a bandsaw (though may well go for a s/h Startrite 352 for that rather than new),decent table saw, 10' or 12"p/t and suitable extractor.

Thanks

Steve (not Ben - he's the dog)

My experience with Axminster is that discounts can be nefotiated in the shop, particularly on a "package" IE accessories to go with the machine (probably these are higher margin items which they can afford to discount or give away). I would imagine that if buying several machines you might get a reasonable discount.

+1 for negotiate in shop especially if buying a fair bit in one go. Suggest you don't try it when the shop is busy though as, in my case, it seemed to involve discussions with the manager rather than being something the sales guy could do off his own bat. Good luck. Cheers, Tom

Also check prices elsewhere before you go, as Axi' have seemed to be increasingly more expensive than the competition on many lines/products in recent years, such that even their sale prices and special promotions have often been still much more expensive than elsewhere.

It may be better on the larger kit though, I don't know, and they do have good customer service generally, but just do some research to make sure you know if you are getting a decent deal or not in reality :)

Cheers, Paul

I understand that some woodturning clubs have discount arrangements with Axi. Maybe another tool to use in negotiations ?

Hi Steve, I did the same as you when I retired, or at least a couple of years after that when I became interested in woodworking.

After starting off with a small old bandsaw, I bought a Record BS400, mainly as a result of such good reviews on here and the added advantage of getting a £100 discount and free delivery at one of the shows, plus the fact that Record guarantee is for 5 years as against others which is shorter. Same for the a Record P/T.

If you look up Record BS400 Review on this site you wioll see the report I mentioned, it's by Random Orbital Bob...... it's here record-power-bs400-bandsaw-review-t78828.html

Good luck in your search and in your retirement.
Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm,

that's a really good review - thanks for pointing me to it. I had been thinking of the BS350 but the review of the BS400 is certainly food for thought.

Just going to enjoy the research and weighing up options for the next few weeks unless anything comes up on eBay I can't resist.

I'll only get one shat at buying some nice machines so I might as well make the most of it!

Out of interest did you acquire a table saw and/or planer/thicknesser, if so what, and would you recommend?

Thanks once again.

Steve

Steve, the BS250 is also good, just not as large, but the BS400 is a super machine and I do like the assurance of 5 years on guarantees, just like John Lewis on TV's.

Malcolm

Hi Steve.

im just doing exactly the same as you and am equipping my workshop. I joined a local wood turning club and although i originally intended to buy everything new, there has been that much good quality second hand stuff coming up for sale im nearly fully equipped at a fraction of new prices.

You might want to the same!! only have to choose a table saw now...... Axminster offer their sale items via email if you subscribe to them

Mark

Back