Axminster SBW4300 Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Yes, I know what your're thinking-It's that Philly Gloating again! :roll:
Sadly-yes. :lol:
I have had a new bandsaw delivered. My previous bandsaw, a Record, has served me well but it's 8 inch depth of cut was sometimes a pain. You know how it is-every board you pick up is 1 inch wider than your machines capacity. Well my new machine (which will probably find me buying 13 inch boards) has a 12 inch depth of cut. It is an Axminster Plus SBW4300. I have placed a little review on my website here.
I have spent some time checking out the 12 inch saws on the market and was most impressed with this one (especially at the price! :shock: ) Axminster delivered the saw on time and without drama (thank you Mr Delivery Man) and it only took 30 minutes or so to de-grease it and fit the table and fence. I have some new blades on the way (should be here tomorrow) so when I can fit those I will give it a thorough testing. It came with a 1/2 inch blade which was o.k., but you know the blades they fit to the machine. :wink:
3.jpg

Oh, and as you can see, I have'nt moved yet. Yes, the workshop is a MESS! :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly,
I am going to take you off my guest list for that gloat! It's a saw I have long wanted - having looked at the various offerings on the market. Not least because of it's small footprint - so unlike Alf's first attempt at upgrading :wink:

IIRC Keith reviewed one very favourably and it certainly hit the spot with me at several shows. I shall be very interested to hear what you make of it. The only thing stopping me buying one is that my Kity 613 performs very well and I have a lifetime's supply of blades that fit it - however the depth of cut does frustrate me from time to time.

Chris
I had a play with the full "Plus" range at Axminster's shop-I was going to get the next model up until Waka kindly pointed out that this model has the same motor, same depth of cut and a smaller footprint than the larger one. Oh, and it is a coupled of hundre quid cheaper! :roll: So cheers Waka!
Martyn
Glad there's a long weekend coming up :wink:
Jake
More pictures soon-I left my camera at work and had to use the Missus' aweful old thing.
Cheers

Philly":ekj0y7a4 said:
had to use the Missus' aweful old thing.

No "Gloat" setting on it?? :lol: :wink:

Lovely bandsaw! Looking forward to the full review.

Cheers
Scott (whose workshop always looks like that!)

Nice gloat and a lovely saw. 12" depth of cut :shock: A few mods (out of warranty) will soon have that up to 14-15" :wink:

See here

Sawdust Producer":2laotfnf said:
I have some new blades on the way (should be here tomorrow)

Are these blades coming from Record :wink: :lol: :lol:
Sheesh, tell me that's not where he said he got his blades from... :shock: :roll:

Very nice, Philly, although I'm surprised you didn't wait 'til after the move. Or couldn't you bear to! :lol: I had a brief consider of that variety under the "Europac" label when I was looking, but decided it was too good to be true in the absence of a decent review to go on. Be interested to see the innards and the trunnions, when you get going with the gloatenkamera. :D

And that's not a mess - you can see areas of the floor... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf
Blades have arrived-from Axminster this time. I was quite happy(ish) with my Record blades. They worked (although there was a lot of set) and were cheap. Thanks for being so discrete SP :lol:
Am on my way home now to fit the new blades (well the 25mm one 8) ). Report to follow. I've posted some more pics on my website
Cheers
a.jpg

Chris
It's this one. It was a perfect fit and handles the weight really well. A thumbs up! :D
Tony
No way I'm taking a hacksaw to this beast. Thanks for planting the seeds though :wink:
Cheers
Who has now fitted the 25mm blade and spent some time cutting sheets of homemade veneer! \:D/

Philly,
Thanks. It looks like the HTC but without the lifters and with a corresponding decrease in protrusion of the castors/handles -easier on the ankles!

Yes, it's similar to the HTC but features sprung pins to locate the bars on the sides. You can easily adjust for size. It also feels stiffer than the HTC.
HTH

O.k.-Had a play. I like this saw! With the 25mm blade fitted and set up I cut a pile of 2mm thick veneers off a piece of London Plane. Very smooth cut, so minimal clean will be necessary. Me happy :lol:
2006_0413bandsaw0006.jpg

Cheers

Philly":wlre0aj5 said:
Waka
Yeah, you are going to like this! See you on your return (hopefully in the new workshop 8-[ )
Cheers

Now I see why there were mutterings of Plus Range floating in the air from certain quarters at Yandles on the Friday.

Back