Axminster Ral Number

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchallender

Established Member
Reaction score
Most of my equipment is of the Axminster variety and is therefore the usual white/greyish colour. However I'm in the process of refurbishing my metal lathe and wanted to paint it the same colour, and touch up some of my other kit - does anybody know the RAL number for the Axminster white/grey colour?

rgds

Darren

Hi Darren,

Many moons ago Axminster used to sell cans of touch up paint for their products. I can't find any currently listed but it would definitely be worth giving them a ring. Failing that take a piece into a decent paint shop and they should be able to match it for you. I'd avoid the big sheds as they will not have the right paint and unless the head chimp is operating the machine that day it's anyones guess what colour you will end up with.

Regards

James

I'm sure their tech services will tell you what RAL number it is - I expect its a standard spec to all their producers. If I was guessing I'd say it was 9010, which is the most popular white, being slightly off brilliant white.

Ed

cambournepete":2xqr1qgv said:
I'd never heard of that term, but why not just ask them?
You might like to refer to Pantone as well, in case they've not heard of RAL.

Anyone who deals with paints in an industrial context will refer to RAL, as this is the industry standard referencing system. Talking in Pantone colours just makes you look like you don't know what you're on about.

Ed

Make you seem like a poncey graphic designer you mean?

(no offence meant, Pete. I am familiar with both, and a few others.)

Richard, when I read this last night I was thinking it would be useful to have an Axminster member on board. I forgot about you :oops: :wink:

Richard@Axminster":1ckw9d0t said:
Hi Everyone,

9010 for White, 7015 for Grey.

Hope this helps :wink:

No they aren't! My planer is no way near as nice a white as the morticer, table saw or extractor, can I have a new one please? :D

Now to sound like a geek...
-Pantone are specifically for paint colours, but as they're easily available and come in such cute little swathes they're used commonly to define colours for everything, especially by people who want to annoy engineers who have to actually deliver products in those colours, what next, give us your handbag and we'll match it to that?! I don't care if you're a marketing executive, just because you can speak it doesn't mean you should. Rant over
-RAL Colours or Reichsausschuß für Lieferbedingungen und Gütesicherung Colous were invented by those clever little Germans who wanted to standardise colour samples (they're very organised like that). Like pantone they are specific colours and are not a scientific designation of the wavelengths of the light reflected from them.
-NCS is for proper engineers as they precisely describe the chromaticity of the light and hence people who use these are much better than people who don't.

One thing to remember, the Pantone equivalent to an RAL which is equivalent to an NCS are exactly that, they are not the same, just very close. If you want an exact match the surface, ambient lighting and response of the measurement system are just as important as the actual shade

Aidan

I always thought Pantone colours were used in printing and therefore with inks. You'll normally get two colours per reference, one showing the 'true' colour and another showing it made from four colour process. There is normally a difference, sometimes quite substantial.

Paintmakers don't like matching to Pantone shades as inks are more transulcent than paints and use the brightness of the paper/stock below to give added effect of the colour.

Whatever happened to BS4800?

OMG ! just the mention of Pantone colours gives me nightmares; Many years ago I was a Screen Printer by trade and matching these colours was a nightmare ! UUrrrgghhh !

Latest posts

Back