Axminster price rises soon ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't wish to be derogatory to wards APT on pricing but just check out this one, Makita plunge saw with two rails & other bits D&M tools £329.00, APT £499.96 looks like their having a laugh

cookie777":3evkmaix said:
I don't wish to be derogatory to wards APT on pricing but just check out this one, Makita plunge saw with two rails & other bits D&M tools £329.00, APT £499.96 looks like their having a laugh

Or £319.95 on Amazon with free delivery.

I'm really sad about what ever is going on at APT, before they altered their website I had 66 previous orders recorded with them, I rated them the best, service, prices, a great company, maybe Richard will appear & tell us what the hell is going on

I had a very dissapointing conversation with AXI today asked about pricematching ellsworth bowl gouge £63 axi £36.95 Toolbox + postage could not do it which did not surprise me ,I asked what is your best price lady said £63 if theyd knoicked a tenner of I would have bought it as I already have some items in my basket ready to go.I then said Sedgwick PT planer I see you have increased the price by @£200 whats the best price you can do it for answer what you see.I have a price for this planer elsewhere for almost £400 less.
Alan

I bought a ks10 chuck just before christmas for £85.
The price is now £115!!

That's a big price jump!

And yet the C jaws have only gone up £1 or £2.
There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

Hi

This morning I purchased a clamping kit

Clamp kit.png

Here are the results of my online browsing - no need to guess who got the custom. (The last column is the percentage difference between Axi and the other suppliers).

SS.png

It was the same when I bought a rotary table set up last autumn.

Axi are pricing themselves out of the market - how can this be good practice?

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Clamp kit.png
    Clamp kit.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 125
  • SS.png
    SS.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 125
I bought [for SWMBO to give to me for XMAS] a chip extractor and 1 micron filter just before the festivities. Just checked the current price, increased by ~£55 [after vat]. Glad I got it before!

Just had my new ITS catalogue through today. Comparing it side by side with last year's 4th quarter catalogue there's only two price increases I've found so far and they're both on Panasonic cordless tools. And we're only talking £10 on each item (£329 to £339 and £369 to £379).

I've been impressed with the service and price I got from Folkestone Fixings (FFX) on a Makita LS1040 the other day. £156 delivered OK only a sample of one transaction but I've read other good reviews of them.
They also use DPD as their carrier. My current favourite carrier as they send an email in the morning telling you within a 1 hour window when they are going to arrive. Means you can arrange the rest of the day and even leave the house without risking one of those "we called but you were out" cards.

Myfordman":3eo39zgn said:
I've been impressed with the service and price I got from Folkestone Fixings (FFX)

I've bought a few things from them in the past and would certainly use them again.

Mark

MMUK":1w2vqipa said:
cookie777":1w2vqipa said:
Or £319.95 on Amazon with free delivery.
In a much smaller way and apropos another current thread and scalpel blades. Axminster want £13.94 (plus you'll have to make up a a £50 order to get free delivery) for what can be bought for less than £10 (inc. delivery) at several other on-line shops.

I've found Axminster prices are often no longer competitive and my last 3 orders have all been placed elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for loyalty to real English companies. However, if I was to remain loyal to APT, I'd be pricing myself out of the market. I have to be realistic and get the best deal I can to keep my prices down and remain competitive. Hence most of my purchases end up coming from FFX, ITS, Magnet or Travis Perkins (the last two I've really screwed them down on prices).

I was looking for a Bosch GCM 12SD 305mm Slide Mitre Saw. Axminster had it for £550 before Christmas and want £650 for it now. Toolstop have it for £499.... but wont ship it to Northern Ireland.. another annoyance for folk over here.

Buckeye":2a76ava2 said:
I was looking for a Bosch GCM 12SD 305mm Slide Mitre Saw. Axminster had it for £550 before Christmas and want £650 for it now. Toolstop have it for £499.... but wont ship it to Northern Ireland.. another annoyance for folk over here.
Strange as NI is part of the uk. Plus the toolstop ebay shop will deliver to Ireland :?

Just gone onto their main website. Added the bosch to my basket and it i get a drop down menu offering delivery to NI for an extra £7.20

carlb40":1lsfp229 said:
Buckeye":1lsfp229 said:
Strange as NI is part of the uk. Plus the toolstop ebay shop will deliver to Ireland :?

Just gone onto their main website. Added the bosch to my basket and it i get a drop down menu offering delivery to NI for an extra £7.20

Yep but when you hit checkout it removes it from your basket and says they won't deliver it to NI. Will try the ebay route, thanks for the tip.

Buckeye":2gup3dlh said:
carlb40":2gup3dlh said:
Buckeye":2gup3dlh said:

Yep but when you hit checkout it removes it from your basket and says they won't deliver it to NI. Will try the ebay route, thanks for the tip.
Very strange, might be worth giving them a call and see if they can bypass a computer for you. :)

Actually it looks like there might be some restriction going on? A lot of ebay sellers are stating - may not post to ireland on the listings :eek:

carlb40":2hlg4wxd said:
Actually it looks like there might be some restriction going on? A lot of ebay sellers are stating - may not post to ireland on the listings :eek:
Probably because carrier charges jump enormously for any offshore deliveries.

I know because, as an eBay seller, I was caught out once. So these days I tick all of eBay's UK destination exclusion boxes which cover : Channel Islands, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man, Scilly Isles, Scottish Highlands, Scottish Islands and Northern Ireland plus PO boxes. Anyone wanting carrier delivery to those places has to pay very much more I'm afraid.

Just been onto Axminster site with the possibility of buying a Mirka electric sander - I saw this thread earlier so expected to see some increases but wasn't ready for the cheek they have applied across the board.

I've always defended Axi when they get knocked down on forums as they do have their strong points, however they have just lost my custom going forward.

Yes, I have to agree with the posts about being ripped off. Axi are now my supplier of last resort and I wont be recommending them to anyone in the future. Their catalogue will just be used as a reference library by me.

Mike

Back