Axminster price rises soon ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
I just received the latest Axminster Power Tools catalogue in the post today.
Looking through it everything seems to be a higher price than currently offered on the web site. Some only by a few pence, some things by nearly 10%.

There's not much I need at the moment, but if anyone was postponing purchases hoping for a 'sale deal' that hasn't materialised, it might be prudent to get on and place an order before the prices rise to match the catalogue.

carlb40":27yx8nko said:
The price increase will take effect as of jan 1st, just like every year. :)

And just what exactly increases in the product to justify a more than x5 inflation price rise? and this on the tail end of another thread that made it pretty clear some of Axminster prices are already too high.

They do it every year. And people keep on shopping there.

I buy very little from them nowadays.

Cheers

Karl

No one likes price increases. However what we have to remember is Axi hold the price ( unless in a sale ) for the whole year. So it seems a big jump compared to others who increase prices through out the year. ;)

Has the mj12-1600 panel saw package gone up? I am not ordering it yet until i have a confirmed move date for my new unit. Iirc its at about £1417 ish. 10% would be a lot ....

MJ12-1600 Mkii Panel Saw £ 1,749.95 (page 18)

Site currently MJ12-1600 Panel Saw £1,419.50

Roll of sandpaper at axminister £59 at Adkwick £24
almost the same paper except adkwick is a better brand (siawood1919)

just one example of many

My cheapy Ferm 10" Mitre saw died yesterday with so much of the plastic motor body disintegrating it was not safe.

I decided on a Makita LS1040 as a replacement having read good reviews here and elsewhere.

£214.96 on Axi website, £162.00 at Folkstone Fixings ( I've seen several good reviews about them and their service but this is my first purchase). (£178 @ Lawsons and £187 @ Toolstop)
At that price difference I can't afford to show Axminster loyalty. Even though I have a credit note 'in the bank' from them, they don't even send a catalogue unless I ask for one.
Sorry Axi - you are losing the plot

I was originally looking at Axminster lathes (metalworking) but decided to go for Warco instead. Having not seen the axminster one I cannot comment on theirs, but the warco WM240B seemed leagues apart from Axminsters Sieg range. Even the included accessories (3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate, travelling and fixed steadies toolbox and a couple of others) were far far more than axminster even offered. I cannot fault the Warco lathe personally!

The £330 price increase overnight is a maddive leap, one can only wonder if the so called MK2 is the same saw at all!

Some questions:

Given there IS inflation (even though the government lies about the true rate), does Axminster's catalogue price change from being expensive to being competitive, and if so, when?

If you need something changed or repaired or set up, what sort of service do you get from them and other people?

If you want a big, accurate paper catalogue (with detail in it), how much are you prepared to pay for the privilege? It must be cheaper now (relatively), but back in the 1975, the catalogue of a manufacturing and distribution firm I worked for, which looked very similar to Axminster's one, cost over £1m to produce (roughly £7m in 2012 according to the BoE). It was the single largest annual expense they had.

Do they price-match ever?

Do they have a discount scheme for high-volume purchases (e.g. educational outfits)?

Do you want a one-stop shop for a range of products (big ticket down to consumables), or can you afford the time to seek out the best deal every time?

Are Axminster better priced for some items than others?

Axminster's catalogue inevitably has to take into account guesses about buyer behaviour and market prices over the coming year, and it's one of the 'market making' price statements: how many competitors wait for it to be published then price against it? How should Axminster respond to that?

I could imagine them being justifiably damned for having the lowest price but next-to-no customer support and poor availability. Some other well-known companies trade that way. I really don't have a view about Axminster being right or wrong, but I do think there are some big questions lurking behind all this. It's not just the obvious price ticket that counts.

I think it's a really hard thing to get right. How would you do it instead?

E.

I know they will price match and offer bulk discounts under some circs.

Generall in this country we seem to pay over the odds for most things,the big excuse for price rises over the last 2 or 3 years has been the depreciation of the pound.the pound has recovered by 15 to 25 % this year alone so really we should be seeing a reduction in the price imported goods so bassically someone is taking the water.
Alan

Noggsy":g2c5exb9 said:
I know they will price match and offer bulk discounts under some circs.

Last time I dared to ask for a bulk discount I was told I would need to spend over £2k a month before they would even consider it :roll:

FFX (Folkestone Fixings) on the other hand automatically give me a discounted rate if I order more than a given number of the same item.

Well my festool domino arrived this morning. Axminster still cheaper than anyone else, plus they will honour the 50 pound voucher i had, so i can,t complain. Was a big decision to get one. Will let you know howbi get on.

By the way my previous post was not a dig at Axminster as I have bought most of my tools and bits and pieces from them it was a generalisation .I think the maufacturers,importers,retailers have now gotten us used to paying the price we do they are not going to drop them again when the exchange rate goes in our favour.
Alan

As carlb40 said, everything has now gone up to the new catalogue prices today.

It's a bit puzzling why some people seem to be so derogatory to APT on pricing. It's not as if they're making claims for being the lowest prices, they just happen to be a big player in the market.

Back