Axminster price increases?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing that (I think) has changed is that quite a few pages have PRICE WATCH (in red on a yellow background) at the bottom (e.g. p8) -- previously, with perhaps a few exceptions, weren't prices maintained for the life of the catalogue (i.e. a full year) ?

I suppose it could mean that the prices might be lower than those in the catalogue, but I wouldn't count on it.

I don't think the value of the pound is to blame for price rises over the last couple of years after the initial drop in value when this crisis started the pound recovered quite a bit and has been stable since,I have been building an extension over the last 3 years and have noticed a big difference in price buying building materials over that period both imported and uk sourced.I think we are all being shafted by those in power just because they can.

themackay":1izespmm said:
I don't think the value of the pound is to blame for price rises over the last couple of years after the initial drop in value when this crisis started the pound recovered quite a bit and has been stable since,I have been building an extension over the last 3 years and have noticed a big difference in price buying building materials over that period both imported and uk sourced.I think we are all being shafted by those in power just because they can.

We are consumers and we are being consumed. :wink:

It's a classic example of never wasting a crisis, not referring solely to Axminster. The media hypes up inflation and fiscal crisis, companies take the opportunity to hike prices whilst blaming "the current situation..."

Inflation duly inflates, the media reports it, companies hike prices some more, repeat until nobody buys anything anymore then watch markets collapse.

themackay":gkc8y5sq said:

Don't forget that in the case of building materials, the vast amounts the Chinese are using influences the world prices. I saw a while ago that they were finishing 100,000 flats a MONTH in Shanghai alone, although that has slowed considerably now.

Many of us must use Axminster because its a one stop shop for equipment and consumables. They have a slick business model, really good at telling folks what they have, even covering sending out comprehensive catalogues by snail mail (I bet most people who were sent them had an enjoyable hours thumbing through the contents - I did). However, this year I had two issues with them that were eventually resolved. I have also noticed cost increasing, and wonder now what the alternatives really are.

Axminster possibly now requires that their profit margins need double digit growth, and customers are the only ones who can fuel this expansion. Years ago business growth of 3-4% year on year would have been acceptable, but not now.

Do we really use local suppliers and are we to British to ask for a discount? Perhaps we are missing the power of the collective - namely us. The forum could be used to compare the best prices from other outlets. Could the forum be used to gather three of four people who wish to purchase equipment, and drive down prices by placing a multiple order?

Or alternatively you just bite the bullet and pay the increased cost.

I noticed the price increases are unusually high at Axminster over the last few weeks too, as I've been waiting about 8 months for some money to come in before starting to order my gear for my workshop.

Unfortunately several of the lines I was interested in have been discontinued too, like the mini bench-mounted planer thicknesser that they did in the catalogue that I have. I actually got an email about their "clearance sale" and saw about 3 items I had on my shortlist pass me by as they went out of stock for the last time before I had any cash to grab one :cry:

I've ordered a few things from them, and been called back with advice after queries a couple times - they're still one of the best companies I've dealt with in any of my past jobs, so I'll still shop there, not that there's a great deal of choice on the UK anyway for tools. It amazes me how much cheaper the USA is for wood and engineers machinery.

@Aden30 - Companies aiming for large margins is nothing particularly new - I remember the restaurant and general store I worked for in the late 80's to early 90's would pay us a bonus only if we achieved a 25% increase on takings at the till, over the year before... I think we got a bonus once in 6 years. Nice idea about using the forum to get bargains tho, Like a woodworkers HUKD. :)

I suspect that a part of the reason for the large increases the last couple years might be the fast rise in metal prices?

As well as prices going up I've had quite a few irritations with them lately. Lots of things being out of stock (hardly ever used to happen), wrong things delivered, out of date finishes delivered. They used to be flawless, but are loosing it a little bit recently if my experience is anything to go by.

It all started to go wrong for me when they ditched the old website a couple of years back replacing it with one that is flashier but not as user friendly. And the seem to have rationalised their catalogue. Seems to be less choice than there used to be....

I bought a pillar drill from Axi just before christmas (an ED16B2 if any one is interested). I paid £223 for it and it's now listed at £291 a whopping £68 more or 30%. I'd forgotten about the new year price rises so I'm really glad I bought when I did as the new price would have put it out of my range.

Assuming production and other costs are staying fairly static all business still have to put prices up because of inflation but I can't help feeling that Axi's way of doing a massive once a year hike hurts their business. Three years ago I when I wanted a tool I went straight to Axi only occasionally looking at other suppliers. Now I pretty much only go to Axi if I'm after something big because they have a smooth delivery and after sales service, the majority of my money has gone to other internet retailers and if I think about it I haven't had a single issue with any of them.

the trouble is that if they print a catalogue, and distribute it by post, then the prices are fixed for its duration. it is a comprehensive catalogue and seems to be well regarded. I know that screw fix do quarterly catalogues, but the axi model, put in another light is fixed prices for a year. how many other businesses will tell you the price today, and you can still order it in december at the same price.

in 12 months time, we will have accepted these rises and be having a similar discussion. it cant keep going up and up by double digits- if they are not competitive, then people will go elsewhere. if they are very uncompetitive, then everybody will go elsewhere. If the market as a whole forces a price increase which is pure additional profit, then somebody will identify an opportunity to supply at the normal profit margin and fill the void.

i expect that come feb time, we will look at the market place. axi will not be the cheapest, but they will be competitive as they were in feb last year. whether some of the products will be as good as you can buy for similar money elsewhere is a different issue- the ts200 saw for eample used to be very good for the price, but over the years it has got more expensive and it may now be in the price range of other saws of better spec.

My experience of Axi is that over the last few years prices have gone up a lot and quality has dropped a bit. Their own brand stuff was never the best money could buy bit it was serviceable, now it just feels like the same Chinese import stuff everyone else is selling just 10% more expensive then everyone else is selling for. That's very broad brush and perhaps a bit unfair, there's still a lot of decent stuff in the catalogue, but it feels like they are moving towards the B&Q end of the market.

While I enjoyed looking through the catalogue over Christmas I think I'd rather see slow but steady price rises over the year and not have a catalogue. As it stands 10 months from now Axi will be competitively priced again but until then I'll probably shop elsewhere.

It isn't just the machinery that has shot up in price. I was considering downsizing on my extraction ducting and getting the 63mm kit. But that has now gone up just over 26% compared to last years price :shock:

Yet i see things like Lie Nielsen has pretty much remained the same price wise

where is the ductiing made though- if the far eastern economy is picking up, and it suggests that it is by the increasing metal prices, then the labour rate goes up and china isnt as cheap as it once was. you may have the double whammy of increased labour and raw materials costs.

the american labour rate, whilst more expensive, is not as volatile to demand.

Just bought a 45degree cutter block from Axminster today and it's GONE DOWN about 8% ( price not angle ) from last year's catalogue, so it's not just an across the board increase.

I wish I could up my prices by 10% :(
I've been trading since 2007 and have absorbed all material price increases for the DVDs, cases, packaging etc. I have, once, increased postal charges for some overseas customers, but even so, the P&P I charge does not cover the cost of processing the order of anything more than a single DVD.
I used to sell widgets in packs of 10, now they are packs of 8, so that is equivalent to a price rise, but even so it does not reflect the increases in my own costs.

I agree about the QE. I went to Barcelona in about 2009 and got a Euro for 60-something pence. Now it would cost me 80-something. How can such a pressured currency be so strong? I'd like to go back but it is so expensive (only this time I would hope not to get mugged and end up locked in a room with a self-confessed murderer... allegedly...)
It would help if China would actually float its currency, but it won't. Sure, all things Chinese would go up in price, but at least the West would start to become competitive. We might actually start to make things and employ people again.
S

Latest posts

Back