Axminster Price Hike

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've just voted with my feet and bought a machine elsewhere and the item was £10 cheaper. It was an item Axminster are the sole importers of as well.

If you think this is bad just wait until the massive devaluation of Sterling really kicks in by summer.

A country that doesn't produce much that is tangible anymore and is utterly dependent on imports for so many things has had its currency devalue by nearly 30% against the two of the three main trading currencies and nearly 40% against the third. (Dollar, Euro and Yen).

Why do you think inflation went up this month? What goods and services are you seeing that are actually reducing in price, other than cars (whose market has absolutely collapsed) and certain kinds of property? My prediction is that due to the exchange rate inflation in this country will soar, leading to the dreaded Stagflation, a stagnant economy with high inflation

And just wait till the BoE interest rate starts soaring and your mortgage starts to hurt you each month. The Bank's interest rate remit is still to control inflation. And most of your food is imported...

In this scenario what Axminster have done is completely rational. And the diferrence between Veritas and LN is that LN are from the US, and Canada's economy is even more stuffed than ours.

stef":t58h6afl said:
well,
I think it's pretty normal.
(erm..)
I have been buying a few tools online from axmstr. they were about 50% cheaper than mainland europe, due to the pants falling of the pound.
I bought a makita sander, £166 or 170 euros. cost in France, 340euros min.
i also just bought a makita circular saw, paid £120, or 125euros. price in france ? over 220euros...
now, how they can still survive, i wonder..
either that, or the french retailers are reallly taking the mick !
even with the postage (which has gone up from 15 to 23pounds to France, but maybe due to heavier parcels or new transporter.), prices are well, well bellow par.

Tell me about it.... I also live in France and just had a Makita router repaired (new motor) and the bill came to 215 Euros then found the same model in the UK for 180 pounds instead of 498 Euros.

Yes, they are taking the mick but it's not the retailers that fix the price it's the manufacturers...

Russ

Mooeee":1aa81dxs said:
END result only being able to buy from one company or sole importer of tools (Lie-Nielsen) and then they can charge what they like.
Mooeee

Exactly the case here in Norway but for different reasons. Small country, low population and little demand = no market for more than 1 or 2 retailers = they can charge what they like.
The result is that I (and many others) buy almost nothing, tool wise, in Norway. Everything I want is only a few clicks away and half the price at Axminster, MTMC, Rutlands, Wealden and is even cheaper in the US.
Surely the answer for you in the UK is vote with your keyboard and start importing from the US. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more US retailers start catering for the UK market (240V) if the demand increases.
Although I admit this course of action would not be very good for the UK economy in the long run !

Krysstel":rspng7md said:
Mooeee":rspng7md said:
END result only being able to buy from one company or sole importer of tools (Lie-Nielsen) and then they can charge what they like.
Mooeee

Exactly the case here in Norway but for different reasons. Small country, low population and little demand = no market for more than 1 or 2 retailers = they can charge what they like.
The result is that I (and many others) buy almost nothing, tool wise, in Norway. Everything I want is only a few clicks away and half the price at Axminster, MTMC, Rutlands, Wealden and is even cheaper in the US.
Surely the answer for you in the UK is vote with your keyboard and start importing from the US. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more US retailers start catering for the UK market (240V) if the demand increases.
Although I admit this course of action would not be very good for the UK economy in the long run !

Krystel, it only really works if you manage to get the stuff into the UK free of any import charges, Vat etc. For example, a Lie-Neilsen No 5 jack plane is $325 on their website which equals about £223 at todays' rate. Now add the cost of carriage....guessing here maybe £15? then add VAT makes a total of £273. And that's before adding import duty and post office clearance charges. Suddenly the Axminster price of £288 isn't that much more expensive??

Yes but the fact remains that on the JET stuff, Axminster are the importers and distributors and yet they are the most expensive. The JET SS is up at around the £1550 mark at axminster, an increase of 50% and yet it's easy to find retailers selling the same saw for around £1300 meaning while their price has increased too, it's only by 30%. I just get the feeling that some companies are cashing in a bit. I can't fault Axminsters service and after care but is it worth paying an extra £250 for? I'm not so sure.

p111dom":2iwd4d5s said:
Yes but the fact remains that on the JET stuff, Axminster are the importers and distributors and yet they are the most expensive. The JET SS is up at around the £1550 mark at axminster, an increase of 50% and yet it's easy to find retailers selling the same saw for around £1300 meaning while their price has increased too, it's only by 30%. I just get the feeling that some companies are cashing in a bit. I can't fault Axminsters service and after care but is it worth paying an extra £250 for? I'm not so sure.

Maybe it's their business model that's adrift then? If they are the sole importers and distributors then that part of the business will make a margin (perhaps...depends on whether they are run that way) when they sell it to another retailer who is then able to add whatever margin they want. Axminsters' 'retail' outlet will 'buy' the item from the distribution side and then add whatever margin they think they can get away with hence the disparity between Axminster's retail price and the same item from other retailers??

So, in theory, if enough people stop buying from the Axminster 'retail' side then they should drop their prices? But then economics was never my strong point.. :wink:

The company I used to work for had a similarly strange setup. They would buy direct from the manufacturers and then resell small quantities to other dealers at a very small markup. The retail side would then fix prices higher than the dealers the commercial side were selling to? I did point out that this was a bit silly but it fell on deaf ears.

RogerS":35t4zf4o said:
Krystel, it only really works if you manage to get the stuff into the UK free of any import charges, Vat etc. For example, a Lie-Neilsen No 5 jack plane is $325 on their website which equals about £223 at todays' rate. Now add the cost of carriage....guessing here maybe £15? then add VAT makes a total of £273. And that's before adding import duty and post office clearance charges. Suddenly the Axminster price of £288 isn't that much more expensive??

I was really thinking about power tools, but I see your point. I wasn't aware of the import duty. Tools are import duty free here, although Norwegian VAT is 25% !!!!

Just totted up my requirements for the new WS in the summer. What was gonna cost me £2300 last year is now up at around £3100.

I don't think I will bother.

Neil

Latest posts

Back