Axminster Price Hike

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Routermonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been on the Axminster website.

The Good News: price reductions on Veritas tools. :)

The Bad News: prices on Lie Nielsen tools have increased by 10% :(

More Bad News: it looks like prices have increased by 10% for some of the Far Eastern woodworking machinery - shame - I was thinking about buying a new bandsaw. :evil:

Grumpy Les

The TS200 table saw (which I thankfully bought last week) has jumped from £286 to £330!!

A lot of other things have jumped in price by as much as 15%. In the current climate I would say a lot of tool purchases may have just been put back even further...

Mike Bremner":3sgul8pr said:
The TS200 table saw (which I thankfully bought last week) has jumped from £286 to £330!!

:cry: :cry: :evil:

Yes... the shopping basket I had on the go just jumped up in price overnight. Not happy... Not not happy... :evil: Especially as Axminster were out of stock of the item that I was waiting for to qualify for free delivery. Not happy... Not not happy...

35% increase!!!

Wasn't the Veritas Scrub Plane only about £90 when Brimarc sold them?

I think poor old Axminster are losing a customer here. The price hikes in the last 12 months have been terrible.

AXMINSTER, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Unbelievable, I wanted to buy the Jet JSG-96 Combination Belt & Disc Sander.
He was £339,95 and he is now £388.95.
This is a price increase from £49,00 are they crazy at Axminster.
That is not normal this king off price increase, the costumer can pay for everything.
I think that they want to quit with there business , this is the second price increase in one year.

P/T AW106PT2 now £647.50 from £573.68 thats bloody reridiculous didn't they say on the news that inflation was down.

Surely this means the price of second machinery is worth more now.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:evil: Can I swear on the forum

Bassbear81":2i9z0ua3 said:
bloody reridiculous didn't they say on the news that inflation was down.

I've got a feeling that when they respond, Axminster will talk about a fall in the value of Sterling, rather than about inflation. If you've got to import stuff when the currency is weak, it buys less than it did........

Has any of the stuff made in the UK gone up in price? That is the acid test. You could see the positive in this and see it as an opportunity for UK manufacturers.

Mike

Oh well Axminster, have just lost my business for the LN Dovetail saw I was about to buy. Well, somebody buying me for my
Birthday at the end of the month. Classic Hand Tools here we come... Now £15 cheaper than Axminster including delivery.. :D

Was about to buy a Clifton No. 7 too. May as well get that from Classic Hand Tools at the same time instead of ordering from
Axminster. Thought it was the same price, but maybe Axminster are atill charging 17.5% VAT on it ? CHT amend the VAT
to 15% at checkout making it cheaper than Axminster. As Waka said, "vote with your feet" and that's exactly what I'm doing.

Does anybody know if Axminster adjusted their prices for the VAT decrease ?

Ooo, can't want till the end of the month to open my prezzies. :p

Cheers,
Sam

Does Axminster have access to this site? Are they likely to read these postings?

Having said that I don't suppose for one minute we are the only folk b*tchin about this, it is such a crazy price hike.

Is there a sudden influx of interest in woodwork? I don't know why, but I know a lot of lads who are suddenly getting in on the act. Praps Axy think they are gonna be able to balance this out?

My new workshop will be up in a few months and I was going to get ALL the machinery from Axy that I couldn't get 2nd hand. That will have to take a back seat now....

Is there any way they would back down here??

nEIL

Hello woodworking friends,

I got a e-mail from mr. Styles, Managing Director from Axminster after I send Axminster a e-mail why
there prices hat a terrible price increase.
I got this answer"
"I'm very much regret the need for such a price increase which has been bought about by market factors well
beyond our control and it would seem that of the banks who seem to have created this world wide mess of uncertainty."

They have always the ride answer, or the oil prices are high or the transport cost are high or the iron is high in price
and now it is the level between the pound and the dollar. Do you think when the level between the pound and
the dollar is coming on a good level in the future that we get a price reduction?
Further, he said "The pound fell from a level of 1.95 dollars to the pound in November to a level of 1.50 dollars and
since then further to a rate of 1.41 which has a net increase of 37.9% on all of our dollar related purchases very similar
in a way to the way the Euro has strengthened in relation to Sterling making many European holidays and products to
expensive for people here in the UK to afford".

Oh that's nice, he is thinking off you guys.
Next he said "When considering our pricing we have only passed on a small percentage of the increase caused
by exchange rates calculating that the sander in question would equate to approximately 431 Euros at the new
price inclusive of tax".

Yes, your reading it correct, you must be happy with the prices from Axminster.
The last from his speech "Having looked at the pricing in November the machine priced at £345 (no it was 339,95)
would have cost 500 Euros with the exchange rate at 1.45 Euros to the pound the new price of £388.95 will cost
you 431 Euros with a rate of 1.11 to the pound so hopefully you can see how the exchange rates distort the prices
we pay for goods.
Regretfully I am unable to help you further on price with this item as in my last email to the email club I purposely
mentioned that prices were having to increase which is beyond our control and are now working on extremely
tight margins in hope that the pound may recover from the very low levels it has settled at recently.
If I am able to help you further in any way please do not hesitate to contact me personally".

This was the explanation from the manager from Axminster mr. Styles, Managing Director from Axminster why they hat this price increase.
They have always ride and there is nothing what we can do about it. We must take this price increase like
gentle sheep's. I'm just a stranger in you country, but it hurts me also because it happens here (Netherlands)
also and there is nothing we can do about it.
As you look at this world now, is that our debt?
I told mr Styles my story about my handicap and my difficult life, but that was probably to humanitarian for this manager, no reply.
But after all this price increases and there wordless answers I'm gone search
for a other nice tool business, one with feeling. AXMINSTER IS OUT.

Sorry for my English

Schummie.

blue = mr Styles

Hi ALL

I noticed there prices creeping up middle of last year before the word recession was being used and the banks started getting into dept, but just kept an eye on it as i was nearing the end of my work shop build and later in the year was due an operation so couldn't start ordering machines to fit my shop out so waited till now .

Now well after this recession has started to bite we were, i think speak for most expecting price reduction and not as they have done deliberately increased prices and not by small amounts either , do they really think we there customers don't notice what they do , hmmm seems not .

Well i was to order this week a new planer and new thicknesser well not now ( would have run into thousands) plus over the coming year i would have order all my machine from them if i had felt i was getting a fair deal with the increase i have noticed since middle of last year i cant say that anymore , well bye bye axminster tools thats another customer lost, you see from your own greed you cut your own throat, how long before you have to start cutting back and making staff redundant from falling orders. any one recommend someone else . hc

Back