Axminster plus SBW5300 Bandsaw. (big pipper!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoops!

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Am having the usual worries about the handing over large wedges of cash for yet more machinery. This time its for a bandsaw.

My current top of the hit list is the Axminster plusSBW5300. A pretty meaty piece of kit. Does anyone out there have experience of this machine, and how does it compare to other pieces of kit.

I mostly work with hardwoods, and a degree of resawing will be done.

Thanks guys

Decklan

Decklan
I have the 4300, its smaller brother. I nearly went for the 5300 but it has the same depth of cut so I was quite happier with the smaller machine.
In use, mine has been fantastic. Effortlessly powerful, accurate - what more could you ask for?
Hope this helps
Philly :D

thanks for that Philly,

this Axminster plus stuff is getting some pretty good reviews.

I think that for the money the 'plus' range is excellent, My first choice was the Startrite 401E, but the difference in price was just too big to ignore.

Decklan

Is the motor powerful enough for hardwoods at depth (resawing,) I wonder if the torque will be the same for the 5300 as for the 5300 as the wheel sizes are bigger. Higher speeds, yes, but lower torque values?

Decklan

I have cut 9" yew into planks on mine and it cut a sweet as 3" is there a reason your particularly going for the 5300?

A good blade (Dragon i use) makes a huge I mean HUGE difference...

I've got the 4300 as well, a very capable machine indeed. Full depth (12") slices of Oak present it with no real challenge whatsoever. For very deep cuts like this I have a 1" ripper blade from Dragon saws which is like a knife through hot butter, although my preferance is for my 3/4" x 3tpi M42(pretty much lives in the machine) which leaves a slightly better finish at the expense of just a little speed.
I see no reason to suppose the 5300 is anything but even more capable.

I've had the Jet version of this size saw for 5 years now and I've yet to find any fault with it, aside from the fact that it came with a 13 amp plug fitted, whereas it needed a proper 16 amp connection.

Might be worth asking about this aspect if your not set up with a suitable connection. It's extremely heavy too, so you'll definitely need help in moving it about.

Ray.

I got a 5300 (240V) about 18 months ago. Heavy but quite easy to move by two, delivery man and I had to get it in on its side under low door. I think one could lay it over and raise again, if table, wheels, and motor removed.

With a coarse hook blade rips softwood as fast as you can feed it. 8-9" is about max I've tried in hardwood; the higher feed pressure to really zip hardwood stuff through puts a really heavy load on the top guide, which is not so rigid as that of the next model up (much bigger and heavier and ££ier) Cuts cabinetmaker style very well with 1" 3-4 tpi bimetal blade from Dragon, and saws veneer cleanly too. (All at highest speed)

When I got it played with digital caliper (another post) as extensiometer/tension gauge. Saw will tension 1 1/4 carbon blade to 15,000psi, and 1" bimetal to 25,000psi. Very trying to fit 1 1/4" blade until a bit of minor grinding done to lower bandwheel case.

There is low level of vibration, reduced by fitting a ground/cogged V belt, residual varies rythmically, presumably wheels are not exactly same diameter, only felt with fingertips on idle

Guides (what US calls european style) are quite accurately made, lack screw adjusters, but doesn't seem to matter. We replaced some allen screws with small brass threaded knob/spring (from old router fence) for convenience, and added a mild steel clamping plate under another to avoid damage to die casting by clamping screw. Not really needed if you leave the same blade on all the time.

Wheels cast iron and substantial, hard urethane tyres with slight crown. Cast iron pulleys too - no ali in drivetrain.

About to add additional microswitch to inhibit start without pulling down tension lever.....

Dust extraction OK, but much improved by enlarging blade way in case under lower guide by ~2 sq."(also allows easier fitting 1 1/4" blade) and surrounding lower guide/blade with a short section of split plastic pipe; we used ~ 100 mm of 50x100 kitchen ducting, split at back lets you clip it on /off.

Would definitely buy same again

ivan":39sg2a8n said:
About to add additional microswitch to inhibit start without pulling down tension lever.....

One of the best and most whydidn'tIthinkofthatish ideas I've heard in a long while. Probably more useful even than the door interlocks.

I'm nicking that - no question. :wink:

Back