Axminster Planer Blade setup Jib

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinsella

Established Member
Reaction score
Colleagues
Anybody got one of these and tried it? I know there are a few topics on the forum allready on setup jigs, but i havent seen one that mentions these from Axminster?

Anyone got a review worth adding.

PS tring to do my Xmas list from Santa.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/planer-blade-setting-jig/

Attachments

• 700360_inset1_xl.jpg
    700360_inset1_xl.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 993
I have these. They do work quite well but they are quite plasticy and seem to have play in the joints and not too rigid

They do hold the knives quite strongly on the magnets so if have a planer without adjustment screws or springs they do make the knife setting quite straightforward.

The jigs clamp onto the cutter block and on the larger blocks it only just spans the gap. I am careful to mark the position of the jig feet and make sure this is repeated for each knife.

I also have the flat jigs with magnets that hold onto the outfeed table, these have no moving parts so feel more accurate.

I have a set, bought before I realised they don't fit my planer as the cutter drum is too small (radius) :-(

Now I use an aluminium straightedge and one or two thicknesses of printer paper. Works very well. I'll probably sell the Axy Jig kit after Christmas so if you can hold on until then...

E.

I did a review of a couple of these a few years ago. One set was Rutlands, just like the ones in your photo, the other was a brand I can't remember.
They do work, but then so does a planed piece of wood. They feel loose and it's easy to wonder how they can be thou-accurate when there is so much play in them, but of course, in use, they are under compression, so there is no play.
Cutter block diameter is an issue, as Eric has pointed out. On my Kity I had to have the infeed table as far out as I could to expose enough block on which to sit the jigs.
When they work they work well, but it's easy to get them wrong and, quite honestly not a great deal faster than doing them the trad way.
If you really want a jig, people rave about the (rather more pricey) OneWay. Not tried it myself, I'm happy with a block of wood.
S

Back