axminster plane deal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

O/k if you want something to put you off hand planes, buy cheap buy twice. Either get a good one or a old record/stanley from Ebay and tune it. I have done quite few my self and sold then to people on the forum but at the moment I haven't got anything.

Pete

I made the mistake of buying a cheap new plane to start with and it really didn't help things at all. It would be a really bad idea.

If you're not up to buying from eBay and fettling (I wasn't confident enough for that) maybe try somewhere like this: http://www.oldtools.co.uk/

I've seen the place recommended on here a few times - other members will be along to give you more info soon, I'd guess!

I agree with Pete

Unless you spend well over £100 per plane you will not get a decent NEW plane.

However at car boots etc you can ofter pick up good older planes for about £5-10

Down side is you need a bit of luck & patience AND then need to find out how to fettle them.

Maybe someone here who lives near by can help you out.

lurker":mdj63qcp said:
Unless you spend well over £100 per plane you will not get a decent NEW plane.

I've seen this advice numerous times but don't really know what is wrong with cheap planes - due to my lack of knowledge. Can somebody explain what would give me grief if I bought an Axminster plane? I understand the bottom probably won't be perfectly flat but I don't really do precision woodworking (and not sure I agree with measuring things to fractions of a millimeter).

I have bought older planes because they're probably more easily available than Axminster planes (just pop down to the boot sale and there are loads - I can even haggle over them).

Cheers,

Dave

if you look on the my thread " are expensive planes really worth it" there is a big discussion on this.

i started off with the same opinion but was partly converted - i cant afford clifton, ln, or veritas but now have an old stanley no.5 and a couple of block planes (also s/h) rather than going the super cheap route

Hi,

I felt compelled to login and actually post something, rather than just quietly lurking, when I saw your post.

I had the same dilemma a few years ago. First bought a Stanley Handyman plane and thought that hand tools were complete rubbish. Couldn't cut toffee with it, horrible plane.

Next up I bought a new Stanley No.6 from a stall at a woodworking show. It was a second and cost me about £25 I think. The bottom bows, badly, when the screws that hold the frog are tight enough to hold it in place. The bottom is paper thin and has a casting fault line in it. The plastic handles have a moulding line that makes my palms sore (so I had to sand it down). It's frankly a rubbish plane and I should just sling it.

By this time my confidence in Stanley wasn't high. So I bought a reconditioned old Stanley No.5 from Ray Iles at the Old Tool Store, with a thicker blade in it. Wow, what a brilliant plane - it's awesome and cost me only about £35 I think.

I then got a bit hooked on planes, and got a Clifton #3, an old second-hand "user" #7 and a LN bevel up smoother (can't remember the number now). All of these planes are lovely and I'm just as happy using any of them. If I was starting out again, I'd get my planes from Ray Iles if I was on a budget, and from Clifton/LN if I had a bigger budget (I love the way they look and feel - a purely personal thing).

Barkie":9hmv717i said:
I then got a bit hooked on planes, and got a Clifton #3, an old second-hand "user" ....
Ahh, the slope...I know it well.

Twelve months ago I owned three planes: a Stanley No.4 bought new in 1973 (and usless); an old USA Stanley No.7; and a No.45 (with no irons :roll: ).

I now have around 38 planes (several incomplete or for parts only) . "Yes dear, I'm going to do them up and sell off the spare ones." "What, actually make something! Now don't be silly". The coll...err arsenal, includes a Clifton No.3 and a Veritas LAJ - Oh, and some irons for the No.45.

Now to finish off the new workbench and make those panelled wardrobe doors....

Cheers, Vann

big soft moose":178epxcs said:
if you look on the my thread " are expensive planes really worth it" there is a big discussion on this.

Do you have a link to this thread? Have tried the search facility and not got a hit.

Thanks

I have a good mix of the big 3 planes and yes, they are fantastic. However, I started out with 3 Axminsters, the 2 you're looking at and a number 5. No they don't work as well as the more expensive planes but they still do a pretty good job and will take and hold an edge pretty well.

My 220 block is knocking around waiting to go on ebay and my No 4 is still used as it does what I need it to pretty well. If you're budget is tight and you're feeling your way into hand tools then these aren't a bad purchase. Keep your eye on ebay as well though, I bought an old Record 5 1/2 for about 25 quid that is one of the best performing and most versatile planes I own - it did need a mild restoration though

Cheers bsm,

I had read bits of the thread but I get lost/tired when threads go on for too long.

Dave

Vann":9k77ryze said:
I now have around 38 planes (several incomplete or for parts only) . "

Only 38? That must be very frustrating for you

Do you use them all is the question? I have to own up to not using my old woodies very often at all (especially the molding planes), but the LNs, LVs and Cliftons get used loads :wink:

Tony":xhp9dqfl said:
Only 38? That must be very frustrating for you

Do you use them all is the question?
Do I ever use any of them, is the question my wife keeps asking :oops: :oops: :oops:

And to be honest, the answer is very few, very seldom. You know the story: I'll buy an old plane off e-pay and do it up, but it comes with a few bits missing and the sole isn't straight. So you buy another for parts. Then another so you can make two good ones out of the three. Then you can't seem to get them to work well and wonder if it's you or the plane, so you buy an LAJ (wow, nice plane). Then there's a nice Record, or a box of parts going real cheap on e-pay that you just can't let pass. And you're on the slope and there's no stopping......

At the moment my workshop (a bay in the garage) is a complete shambles as I deconstruct my old (low, power-tool) bench, and reline the walls with plywood, before installing my new handtool bench with vice and benchstop. But last night one of the kids was sick and the wife is frazzled so the work is on hold, again......

Cheers, Vann.

Fyall.

Sorry for the delay posting these pics.

CIMG4320.jpg

CIMG4321.jpg

Only slight surface rust, paint work unmarked, they don`t look like they`ve seen much action. A good fettle should see them good as new.

Latest posts

Back