Axminster Perfect Stop - mini-review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a way to add a longer fence to my mitre-saw. Something that would give me accuracy and repeatability. It seemed to me a toss-up between going down the route of an aluminium extrusion with built-in scales etc. Maybe some Incra stuff? But then Incra scales are in inches and I'm metric. And it all seemed quite expensive particularly as I was after a long fence around 2m. So I decided to make my own when I saw the Perfect Stop from Axminster.

This is it in the Axminster catalogue. Looks quite neat, eh? No dimensions given that I could see on the Axminster site so I went ahead anyway. I was hoping for something fairly small...a bit like an Incra Shop Stop if you're familiar with that.

This is what I got.

perfectstop1.jpg

perfectstop2.jpg

A wellmade jig out of aluminium with two lenses at either end for reading the scale and two micro-adjustable stops. The knurled knob is on a screw thread and as you tighten it, the two halves slide together and clamp over your fence.

Still no idea of size, huh? Well, this may help!

perfectstop4.jpg

That's a No 4 plane alongside and so, yes, the Perfect Stop is huge. It needs a fence about 6cm high by 5 cm wide. That's chunky.

How well does it work in practice? It does the business and clamps securely. I found the lenses distorted the image and weren't very clear. Lots of internal reflections but possibly that is down to bad lighting on my part but to give you some idea....
perfectstop3.jpg

..sorry about the out of focus shot but it should give you some idea of what I'm talking about.

The picture also shows the downside to my homemade fence as the scale has to be put on upside down. In theory, the micro-adjusters can accomodate any minor variation due to changing blade thickness. I will create a standard known length of timber and use that to zero in whenever I change blade.

Finally here is the business end.

mitrefence1.jpg

I got one of these yesterday and like it. Sadly i havent got around to adding my fence yet.

I havent found them to be awkward but then i havent had it on fence yet. In your hand its no problem and i have big fingers.

I've had one for about a year now, since I originally set it up I've never had to move the adjusters they work just fine. The only criticism I have is the magnifier magnifies too much, to get spot on you need to look through one eye and have your head exactly inline with the line, I think about half of the magnification would have been better.

Lord Nibbo":33rv7ksy said:
I've had one for about a year now, since I originally set it up I've never had to move the adjusters they work just fine. The only criticism I have is the magnifier magnifies too much, to get spot on you need to look through one eye and have your head exactly inline with the line, I think about half of the magnification would have been better.

Snap! That's what I found worked best in the end. Were you surprised at the size when you bought it?

Roger Sinden":2vxslo4a said:
Lord Nibbo":2vxslo4a said:

Snap! That's what I found worked best in the end. Were you surprised at the size when you bought it?
The size was no surprize, but I find I tend to over tighten, a case of being sure it don't move, I must get out of the habit of checking the tightness and giving it a little bit more just for safety. :lol:

i like this gadget. i have been thinkinking about a chop saw station for a while. i was thinking 2 meters on each side but that is a massive chunk of space!! is your one sided design practical? the american wood work design with drop down flaps is not so good for me although it has a clever zero fence. one sided with support on the other is more practical now i think about it.

johnnyb":2f6k1g20 said:
i like this gadget. i have been thinkinking about a chop saw station for a while. i was thinking 2 meters on each side but that is a massive chunk of space!! is your one sided design practical? the american wood work design with drop down flaps is not so good for me although it has a clever zero fence. one sided with support on the other is more practical now i think about it.

Just been scanning all my pics, this is the only one I could find showing my fence system
246534237_ca70481e6b_o.jpg

the bench and fence goes out of the pic to the left by about another three feet then there is about 2 1/2 feet gap to the wall, in all approx 12 ft to the left of the saw and 4ft to the right with space beyond that for even longer boards.

The picture also shows the downside to my homemade fence as the scale has to be put on upside down.

Sounds like you need a revesrse scale... A quick search found this which is a bit small for what you need, but i'm sure there are more suitable sizes availabe.

j":105rdwiu said:
The picture also shows the downside to my homemade fence as the scale has to be put on upside down.

Sounds like you need a revesrse scale... A quick search found this which is a bit small for what you need, but i'm sure there are more suitable sizes availabe.

Hi j

Many thanks for the suggestion. Actually this is the scale that I use..and if you notice in the picture it goes left to right and what I need is one that goes right to left..increasing.

The second one on that page has the 0 in the middle, so one half of it must be correct, unless I misunderstand what they're selling.

That's true and it would work for me if it was longer. I guess i could get several and stick them down consecutively but then I'd have to get used to adding up in major increments of 300mm and I can guarantee that I'd muck something critical up :oops: :wink:

Latest posts

Back