Axminster O'Donnell jaws - anyone have opinions to share?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have finally decided that my Christmas wish list should contain the Axminster Goliath chuck. However there is a wide range of jaws and I'm unsure which to go for - the O'Donnell jaws look 'different' and I'm wondering what advantages they offer and whether they'd be a good option to start with.

Do any of you regulars use these, and would you recommend them to start with - if not which jaws would you recommend?

Also, does anyone have any negative experiences regarding the Goliath, or is it really as good as it appears?

Many thanks,

K

What work do you envisage doing with your chuck and jaws ?

I have a goliath chuck, a versachuck, a vicmarc and a cheap chinese clone, all use the axminster or the vicmarc jaws of various types and sizes.

The axminster o'donnell combined jaw sets (set of three, nesting) would be what I would buy now if starting out again on turning small to medium sized bowls, hollow forms and the like. The distance the jaws grip the workpiece in front of the chuck allow good access behind the workpiece which is helpful, and the depth of the jaws and the internal configuration also allows good grip on dowels/spigots/branches too whether using the dovetailed ends of the jaws or not. The latest design allows the smaller jaw sets to be mounted within the larger ones, being much quicker and easier to use than separate jaws that need to be dismounted and remounted. Probably the most flexible general use set of jaws available I would think.

You could manage with a cheaper single C type jaw set or similar if doing simple bowls of a similar design and size, but the set of o'donnell jaws should cover a much wider range of possibilities and are very good value I think.

The goliath chuck is also very serviceable and flexible in use and would be a good choice I would think.

Cheers, Paul

I'm now convinced.
Thanks to all who gave their valuable opinions. The O'Donnell jaws will be on my Christmas wish list alongside the Goliath chuck.

K

Axminster O'Donnell jaws!

Would not be without them. Probably the most used jaws I have.

(and I have a few)

John. B

I am doing a project now that included me turning 12 tiny buttons. the outside dia is 9mm with a step of 6mm. The step is about 1/2mm deep and the buttons are about 2mm top to bottom. The hardest job was sanding the tint blip off the top. My fingers were all of 1/2", sometimes less, for the jaws. My O'Donnel jaws are fantastic for this up to this

Lazys1.jpg

18" diameter lazy Susan top. Need I say more?

Oh, 36 of these too

Ballchuck3.jpg

Just a load of balls I suppose really :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I love my O'Donnel jaws and would be lost without them!

I could post loads of photos of them from 10" totally unballanced elm bowls down to 1 X 1/12 dolls house candle sticks

Necroposting again I know, but if you could only buy one set of O'Donnell jaws what size would you get. Middle ones I'm guessing?

If you buy the large ones, you can buy the inserts to bring down the size at a later date.
If you just buy the middle size, you'd have to buy complete jaws for the other sizes.

I bought the large size and the reducing inserts at the same time, which gave me a slight price advantage. I use them for practically all my chuck work. They give you improved access to the rear of the work plus (and more importantly in my opinion, they help to keep your fingers away from the whirling chuck jaws). I wouldn't want to be without mine. It takes just a few minutes to add or remove the jaw inserts - as long as you don't drop the screws into the pile of shavings at the base of the lathe.

K

I must admit I have an Ixo screwdriver with 4mm allen key screwdriver insert for that job. I was given the Ixo as a present and I thought it would prove to be a toy but in practice it works very well with the magnet in the bit holder keeping the screws from falling in the shavings.

I also keep the screws in the jaw inserts and haven't lost any yet.
HTH
Jon

Latest posts

Back