Axminster lookalike Tite-mark

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wiley,

I like the Tite-Mark, but I seldom use it above 2 inches. The fence then is too short and the whole starts wobbling. You can still add some registration by putting your left hand on the rod near the cutter and increase registration, but you won't do that anymore, if you have a japanese marking gauge with a knife and a 4 inch long fence. I like that one for every marking job over 2 inches. So I divided my cutter marking gauges' responsabilities in working ranges with which I'm very happy :D Each tool its purpose. The japanese gauge is cutting easier through the grain, it seems, maybe because the knife's tip is finer and well pointed. The other's round cutter has much more metal to dig into the fibers. Nonetheless I prefer the Tite-Mark over the japanese gauge, because setting distance is a lot easier and more consistent.

Hope I could help,

Marc

Thanks Marc! That's very helpful, and makes total sense. There is a lot of marking under 2" distant from the edge. Which Japanese gauge are you using? I have a couple of Kinshiro's that are very satisfying.

Wiley

Wiley,

I don't know which brand it is, but I bought it from Dieter Schmid in Berlin. I'm very satisfied, just one point as aforementioned in the distance setting is too much wobbling.

Kinshiro's are heirloom tools, right? I looked for on the net and I think mine is not playing in the same league. :lol:

Have a nice evening,

Hi Marc,

Sorry, I didn't mean to have a contest with you. Actually, your gauge would exceed the Kinshiro for some purposes. For example, cutting. Like cutting stringing from a sheet of veneer. Your gauge would be better, because it has a thinner blade.

Each of the different designs have their points, a thought you brought out in regard to the TiteMark.

Wiley

Wiley,

You're absolutely right. But I'd no thought of contest, that's extraneous to my attitude on tools. I merely was astonishd by the high prize such a gauge could have. Just that, nothing more. My astonishment has more to do with a considerable lack of knowledge on japanese hand tools. :oops: So it is rather me that have to apologize.

Back