Axminster discount

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you negotiated a deal it wasn't because you were special or you are some haggling genius, it's almost always because the item was overpriced and room for discounting was built in right from the start.
With branded "unique" items like cars this is easy to do and has been that way for years, ask a car salesman (who is willing to talk) and they will tell you that every price has a % leeway they can use at their discretion.
With generic items though that many suppliers can provide, the price you see is pretty much always the lowest price they can offer because it's a cut throat world and they are fighting with other suppliers.

So I am sorry Lons but in reality rather than you getting a 4k "discount", you probably just paid maybe 1k over the rock bottom price instead of 5k that was added on originally. Still a good deal for you, but they saw you coming and were prepared long before you even thought about buying that car ;)

The Mini example is "of the moment" - they are desperate as orders have fallen through the floor - and this very day have announced hundreds of job that are going at the Mini plant.

The Mini example is "of the moment" - they are desperate as orders have fallen through the floor - and this very day have announced hundreds of job that are going at the Mini plant.

That almost certainly helped, but they didn't discount the price so much as to make a loss did they? Therefore my original point stands, the list price contained enough wiggle room to offer a 4k discount and still make a healthy enough profit as to be worthwhile.

The last significant stuff I bought from them was (separately) a biggish Jet bandsaw, a large Jet cyclone extractor and a Bosch 12" chop saw and stand. I asked for and got discount on all of them - this was in person at the shop nearest me (about 45 mins drive away). I have no complaints. I buy a bit of stuff from them on line, for delivery and although a couple of things have been lost in the post, they deal with it promptly enough.

I do shop around carefully on-line and I have bought hardly any Festool stuff from them for this reason.

I asked them to give me a quote for a product they are distributers for, £2000 or so, I was expecting it to come in £500 cheaper than their quote. Asked for a discount as all they had to do was hold it for a few days before I picked it up. Absolutely no discount, no way. Went to another distributor, bought less and got it cheaper.

Negotiating a deal on a new car is so easy. Download the Carwow app, put the details of the car you want into it and the dealers bid against each other. Walk into your local dealership and show the lowest quote to the salesperson and ask if they want to match it. He/she says they need to ask their manager, they wander off and come back and say yes. You are guaranteed to get the best deal.

So I am sorry Lons but in reality rather than you getting a 4k "discount", you probably just paid maybe 1k over the rock bottom price instead of 5k that was added on originally. Still a good deal for you, but they saw you coming and were prepared long before you even thought about buying that car ;)
That is more of the absolute load of carp that you produce almost every other post. I defy you you go get a better price anywhere for the car I've just ordered, you can't!. I'll give you the details if you are so cock sure you can as usual!.

That almost certainly helped, but they didn't discount the price so much as to make a loss did they? Therefore my original point stands, the list price contained enough wiggle room to offer a 4k discount and still make a healthy enough profit as to be worthwhile.
You have absolutely no idea how much or how little profit they made on my deal never mind the details or how much I got for my wife's clubman, you're spouting opinion as fact again, you just never learn.

Of course Mini like all other manufacturers are suffering but those who have actually bought cars or been into dealerships at the time I was looking will also know that for the last few weeks the dealers for both new and secondhand vehicles have been inundated. I have no doubt I could have got an even better deal off a ready built, a pre registered or demo had there been one available but there was not a single car available in the UK in the spec I required during the 2 weeks of research before I ordered.
According to the salesmen I know and that's several, people have been spending their government freebie grants which of course means business dries up once they're spent!
Under normal circumstances Mini produce 5000 cars a week, the order for this one was placed to the factory more than 6 weeks ago and it's not yet in production.

"The Mini example is "of the moment" - they are desperate as orders have fallen through the floor - and this very day have announced hundreds of job that are going at the Mini plant. "

Of course it is but so are most other manufacturers and suppliers including machinery and tools and many other items and of course I also know how easy it is to get a deal on a car, I should, I've bought 14 vehicles in the last 12 years.
I'm no expert unlike our resident "expert in all things" or at least he thinks he is but I've been around and in business long enough to know how things work.

last time I was in Axminster was at the Nuneaton store. I was in the market for a bench grinder, saw one I liked the look of and the salesman says ' I'll go and see if we have any in stock' Came back, 'sorry it's discontinued and we aren't getting any more' L:OVE it when that happens! Me : how much for the display model then? came out with a £70 grinder for £40 after a bit of a haggle.

I know where the front and rear subframes for the mini are made. Good Luck with it.

What kind of issue is there bourbon? Maybe we've just been lucky.
Genuine question so pm me if you don't want to put information on an open forum.

This will be my wife's 6th new Mini in succession apart from a Nissan Juke in 1964 which really should have been named "Junk" and we very soon got rid of. The only issues we've had with any of the Minis was an intermittent software problem which took them a week to sort out but they loaned her a new car for that time, no mechanical or bodywork issues whatsoever while I've had more issues with the last 2 Audis and current Merc.

last time I was in Axminster was at the Nuneaton store. I was in the market for a bench grinder, saw one I liked the look of and the salesman says ' I'll go and see if we have any in stock' Came back, 'sorry it's discontinued and we aren't getting any more' L:OVE it when that happens! Me : how much for the display model then? came out with a £70 grinder for £40 after a bit of a haggle.
It's great but doesn't happen often, I wanted a set of button jaws for their chuck last summer but all they had were a set they had demonstrated, the salesman said they could have them posted out but I told him I'd travelled 20 miles for nothing, I needed them that day and otherwise would just know up some ply ones and did he want to send away a disappointed customer, I got the jaws for half price.
I tried to get the demo model when I was considering buying a Kapex 120 but they wouldn't play ball so I ended up leaving the shop having bought nothing, the salesman might have remembered the chuck jaws. :)
Axminster refused to give any discount when I bought a Makita track saw but a bit of pressure and they threw in 2 festool clamps and a spare blade. I can't remember what they were priced up at but the saw was no more expensive than competitors on line and the accessories probably £50 or £60 worth at retail.

Negotiating a deal on a new car is so easy. Download the Carwow app, put the details of the car you want into it and the dealers bid against each other. Walk into your local dealership and show the lowest quote to the salesperson and ask if they want to match it. He/she says they need to ask their manager, they wander off and come back and say yes. You are guaranteed to get the best deal.

The're are other ways worth trying along side as well such as UK car discount where you can get a heavily discounted quote on line and emailed which you can use as a lever with local dealers though they don't take any part ex into account. Before I placed the Mini order I did that then tried carwow and got 5 offers none of which were as good.

Back