Axminster 'out of stock'? Maybe not

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filament

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just in case useful to anyone for the future.
I was looking for an item which showed as 'Out of Stock for 12 weeks' on the Axminster website
Called a branch directly https://www.axminstertools.com/stores just in case (thinking that the system was likely linked and they would all be out of stock)
The branch had two in stock and were able to take my card details over the phone and mail it to me.

They send out mail order items centrally, so their main web site will sometimes show an item as 'out of stock' if it's not in their distribution centre, but there may be items sitting on shop shelves. You can check the local shop's stock online and it will show out of stock, low or available.
You might argue that they could retrieve items from branches for mail order, but that would add to costs and possibly be subject to errors if the systems weren't in immediate sync or subject to other errors like shop lifting, damage or display.

I think it depends on the branch.
When i wanted a veritas shooting board plane, only Newcastle had one. I rang , paid for it and they shipped it to me, only it had to go back to devon to the mail order team and then they sent it to me, so Newcastle > Axminster > South Yorkshire. Yup it went past me to come right back.
Great service though

I think it depends on the branch.
When i wanted a veritas shooting board plane,...
Great service though
It will also probably vary with the value and rarity of the item. I would have thought that a Veritas shooting plane is a rare sale for them and they won't have many in stock across the whole company. So shipping it around makes more economic sense.

Newcastle had one on the shelf when I was in yesterday. I've been considering one for some time but can't really justify that much on a plane.

They send out mail order items centrally, so their main web site will sometimes show an item as 'out of stock' if it's not in their distribution centre, but there may be items sitting on shop shelves. You can check the local shop's stock online and it will show out of stock, low or available.
You might argue that they could retrieve items from branches for mail order, but that would add to costs and possibly be subject to errors if the systems weren't in immediate sync or subject to other errors like shop lifting, damage or display.
Hi @Rhossydd - when I was there some time back, that was exactly how it worked & I also understand why. I would call HQ and sometimes find there was a boxed Jet machine sitting in a store somewhere that I needed to help out a retailer sale (despite being out of stock on the central system) & I'd then ask the store manger if I could have it as a favour.

A while ago I wanted to order 4 bandsaw blades and a couple of other things from them for international delivery and there was a minimum order value to get free delivery. They only had 2 blades in stock so I waited a few weeks but they never had more than 2. I emailed them and they said I could order 4 directly (not through their website) but I wouldn't qualify for free delivery. In the end I ordered 2 and bought something else to get the free delivery and the next day the website was back to stating that they had 2 in stock.

Reminds me of going into Maplin's looking for a particular battery, to find that there were none on the shelf. The computer said there were 6 in stock, so I said when will you have more in? Well, as the computer says we have 6 in stock, they won't send us any more, to which I replied, so you won't be having this item again then? Ah, says spotty Herbert, they will update the stock levels and put it right. Like when? I have no idea. Then, I had a brainwave and asked, if you had any spare stock, where would it be kept?
In the drawer under where they should be. Could you have a look for me?
Yes. He found not 6, but 6 boxes? Looked amazed and sold me the one I needed. SO then their computer showed 5 in stock!

Back