Axminster better pull their head out of their...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinDoctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Was just on their site looking at tools when I clicked on looking at veritas tools when a webpage came up saying there as been too many requests coming from my ip address so I have been temporality banned from their site. sorry for any inconvenience... Well all I can say is screw you axminster. I have never seen such a page come up from a retail outlet. My computer is not infected, its a mac... no one in their right mind infects a mac cause no one uses them...

I also use a Mac, and to be honest part of the reason I use one is because they are more difficult to infect, but it does happen and it looks as if you have a little bug there. I spend hours trolling through Axminster without problems.

Rhossydd":ljylwhz5 said:
SpinDoctor":ljylwhz5 said:
My computer is not infected, its a mac...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27588972 Don't be complacent

Off you again...spouting out of your backside. The article refers to iPhones...gettit ? iPhone. Not an iMac which is what he is using.

Grahamshed":3iqm48m1 said:
I also use a Mac, and to be honest part of the reason I use one is because they are more difficult to infect, but it does happen and it looks as if you have a little bug there. I spend hours trolling through Axminster without problems.

Not at all....Graham. It might be related to his iMac but I very much doubt it. Could be someone else piggybacking on his IP address or his ISP is playing up. Or possibly he has a non-static IP address given by his ISP and that the current IP address he is currently allocated has been used for nefarious purposes in the past by someone else and as a result that IP address has been blacklisted.

In the first instance I would contact both Axminster and your ISP.

No need to take it quite so personally, I'm sure they haven't set out to deliberately offend you.

It could be you, so do a scan anyway (you do have AV software installed I assume ?)
It could be a number of other things, a connection from the same address as you happen to be using, a connection from a block of addresses similar to yours, connections from systems pretending to be your ip address, excessive mouse button pushes, a mistake even.
Try switching off your router to get a new ip address assigned, then call or email Axminster and your service provider

as far as i can see this is not a hack or a virus or any other panic-mongering term you wish to use.
It is simple to do if you have someones apple id and password, its actually a feature of the phone. I would suspect that some people have inadvertently given or revealed their id and pw (probably in the hope of 'winning' a trip to the moon or somesuch :roll: ) Anyone with this info can then simply go to icloud.com enter the details and lock the apple device remotely WITH a custom message displayed eg gimme the money.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2700

But in this day and age of paranoia, paedophiles and panicmongering its easy to start a fire.

RogerS":1vd3blg6 said:
The article refers to iPhones...gettit ? iPhone. Not an iMac which is what he is using.
Did you read it as far as
"which affected iPhones, iPads and, in some cases, Mac laptops."
Are there many differences between an iMac and Mac laptop OSs ?

Rhossydd":3dl33vds said:
RogerS":3dl33vds said:
The article refers to iPhones...gettit ? iPhone. Not an iMac which is what he is using.
Did you read it as far as
"which affected iPhones, iPads and, in some cases, Mac laptops."
Are there many differences between an iMac and Mac laptop OSs ?

But unlike you, I do not shoot from the hip and actually dig a little deeper since I don't take scare articles like this at face value and jump on my little hobby-horse. I have found it extremely hard to find ANY mention ANYWHERE of a compromised iMac, Macbook, laptop whatsoever. Nothing on the Apple Community Support forum and so don't you think that if iMacs or laptops were affected there might just be one or two references there? I managed to find one screen image of an iMac which is meaningless since one does not know exactly what the user is looking at. Possibly their iCloud account.....certainly nothing to do with the iMac per se.

mind_the_goat":1fs54rkj said:
No need to take it quite so personally, I'm sure they haven't set out to deliberately offend you.

It could be you, so do a scan anyway (you do have AV software installed I assume ?)
It could be a number of other things, a connection from the same address as you happen to be using, a connection from a block of addresses similar to yours, connections from systems pretending to be your ip address, excessive mouse button pushes, a mistake even.
Try switching off your router to get a new ip address assigned, then call or email Axminster and your service provider

I can assure you my laptop isn't infected. I think it had more to do with the number of requests to their website that I was making. I tend to hold down the Apple key and open a lot of pages (often called flood clicking) and thus I was flicking in and out of pages quite quickly and what ever anti-hacking regime they had in place was wound too tight and made the prediction that I was nefarious in my actions and locked me out for a while. Much like when you get locked out for too many attempts at a password. Anyway you look at it retail outlets can't afford to have junior IT geeks running their networks. The consumer is king and is more than willing to go else where if they're going to play stupid games like that.

SpinDoctor":169iw1na said:
Anyway you look at it retail outlets can't afford to have junior IT geeks running their networks.

They also can't afford to have their sites taken down by malicious denial-of-service attacks, which look exactly like someone making a lot of page requests in quick succession, are a common tool of extortion-racket criminals, and could lose them the custom of all of the visitors to their website rather than just one or two.

I doubt they have some "junior IT geek" running their website, but they may well have been threatened by online criminals thinking that a fairly popular website in a niche market is a juicy target - where they have enough business to be able to afford extortion demands and to be seriously hurt by losing their website, but not enough to be able to afford the kind of infrastructure that someone like Amazon has to protect them against that kind of threat.

This threads awesome- just saying :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

JakeS":2epbmt2y said:
SpinDoctor":2epbmt2y said:
Anyway you look at it retail outlets can't afford to have junior IT geeks running their networks.

They also can't afford to have their sites taken down by malicious denial-of-service attacks, which look exactly like someone making a lot of page requests in quick succession, are a common tool of extortion-racket criminals, and could lose them the custom of all of the visitors to their website rather than just one or two.

I doubt they have some "junior IT geek" running their website, but they may well have been threatened by online criminals thinking that a fairly popular website in a niche market is a juicy target - where they have enough business to be able to afford extortion demands and to be seriously hurt by losing their website, but not enough to be able to afford the kind of infrastructure that someone like Amazon has to protect them against that kind of threat.

Granted.

I used to work in IT and what I saw with being locked out by axminster and that it has never happened to me before, and i have never heard of it happening to anyone else... smacks of a junior that locked things down too much cause he/she had no idea what they were doing. Seen it happen numbers times, especially around new Microsoft releases, where some junior tech locks the OS down and makes it nearly impossible for the users to function adequately. And invariably a more experienced tech needs to come along and reset the permissions and so forth...

Latest posts

Back