Axminster AP5300T/2 bandsaw any views?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
Was looking to buy a new bandsaw and an Axminster AP5300T/2 came up on ebay.

How would it compare to a Laguna 14BX?

How does a braked motor work? Does it automatically stop when you turn it off? thanks

Looks overpriced to me, even if it were the HD version, which does look like it were made to
compete with Centauro.
Not sure if those are available any more...well not from Axi, and I haven't seen other saws with that budget series Felder shaped shape of the column.
I speculate it could it be the international market could be why, as Felder, Laguna, (both have the Italian series made in Novellara, and very possibly SCM formula also), along with Centauro's HD,
made 10 miles away, all those manufacturers have upped their game in regards to matching the wheel size and resaw capacity,
and the Far East are likely designing something to compete.
Perhaps they are making them already, i.e Felders cheap line, or likewise Laguna, or Rikon for example are getting close, but need to be a bit nicer in build like the HD version of that Axi saw to stand a chance compared to the way the Italians shared infrastructure.

Sorry can't view ebay to spot something Italian, and from reading your posts, getting the impression you want the very best.
Worth looking at Centauro then, if you want something middle of the road priced,
but the very best.
It would make more sense reading Bob's induction motor paper instead of comparing GawdknowshowmanyFarEasternmachinesareoutthere? against each other, BTDT.

Then you'd have options.

Whatever if you decide to omit that and spend the money,
If I were to speculate, the guides might be your biggest gripe, so far anyways.
in terms of them having bad design, rather than tool free.
Or infact should they need to be reset when the post is raised (non parallel w/blade and nothing adjustable to account)
or other issue with the blade guard not staying put, or moving when the doors are shut.
Worth noting you'd want to make sure the post is adjustable in both axis, or whether you can move the upper wheel to accommodate.

Other gripes on a lighter machine, the table slot for the blade,
table trunnion what not a stout cast component,
Thread for tensioning, and carriage assembly might leave something to be desired,
in terms of mass, not mentioning adjustability.
Smaller wheel bearings,
those are what you'll get going cheaper route, but the performance of a larger motor and larger heavier wheels will obviously be an improvement.

That's about all I can say.

All the best
Tom

Back