Axminster 2552 or Record Power BS350

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchhounds

Established Member
Reaction score
Toss up between these two. RP has a deaper resaw capacity but not by much. Axminster seems like a better built machine though, better fence system. Any body got experience with either?

Not sure where you got the idea the ali fence is better, I'd say it wouldn't stand a bash from
say a lawnmower, compared.
Table is nicer on the RP also.

Worth noting a near mint second hand machine in the 18" to 20" range could be got for half the money, and still will have the same footprint, and you should be able to see it running/cutting should a dealer for new be far away.

Not sure if this illustrates there's no difference in footprint really.
Perhaps the axi is more compact, but is a few inches worth it compared to having a floorstanding
machine with heftier tensioning system, cuz oretty much all the manufacturers claims regarding that is optimistic at best.
Did you try ebay and gumtree, whilst searching for bandsaw, band saw, and even bansaw,
Two folks on here, recently acquired very similar floorstanding axi and itech machines for much less, and they looked to be spotless.

Checking for coplanar .jpg

EB 315.JPG

Thanks. I have limited height in my shop as its a pent roof so these 2 (or similar options) mean i can make a mobile base for them to reduce the overall height.

I will add that the two im looking at are 2nd hand for around the sub £500 range. The RP has the upgraded axi pro fence on it as well

multico bandsaw.jpeg

Can you fit a 400mm machine in there, or possibly 440 series, or other 450 Italian machine like Centauro s45?

Not sure if this illustrates there's no difference in footprint really.
Thats what I found when looking at bandsaws, initially looked at the BS350 from Record but brought the BS400 instead as it was only a tad higher but had a bigger table and 16 inch cut.

I really like the Hammer N2 35 I purchased recently. Coupled with the right blades from Tuffsaws it has done everything I have asked it to. Unlike the bigger Hammer saws, It is not made at the Austrian factory, although the UK Hammer rep I spoke to said it was as far as he was concerned. Some voiced concern at the 1HP motor but it has not been an issue. The guides are good, but the bottom ones are a bit more awkward than the top to set. The dust collection has been perfect, my only complaint was the rather random way grease was applied to the parts that need it. I have resawn some rather hard walnut, see attached, with ease. I made my own base as this was not included in the price, but then I am supposed to be a woodworker.

Attachments

• walnut.jpg
    walnut.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
@nosuchhounds what did you go for in the end?

I'm currently torn between the two machines, space is very limited so going up a size isn't an option even though the footprint is only slightly bigger.

I like the idea of the customer support aspect of the axminister, but the larger capacity and more powerful motor of the record are appealing.

Back