AWVSL1000 help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all
i recentley bought this new Axi lathe and its great, i had it on the stand but i seemed to get to much wobble and vibration.
in the end i took it off the legs and mounted it to my bench, which has proved much better.
my question is, is that now the axi is bolted to the bench its a real pain trying to swap the tool rest holder around to have it for outboard turning when the head is swiveld.
what i mean is, on the stand you just reached underneath and uscrewed the banjo and swapped it to the other side of the headstock, but now its bench mounted i cant really get my fingers in the bed slot to undo or tighten the banjo.
has anyone who has the axi awsl1000 had similar problems.
i know i could lift the lathe higher on blocks to get my hands underneath but i really wanted the lathe directly bolted straight down on the bench.

all help appreciatted.

thanks...

chris.....

Is it possible to slide the tailstock off the end of the bed and then slide the toolrest off too? Many (but not all) lathes can do this, some have a bolt or plate to stop the tailstock from sliding off when you don't want it to - but that can be removed when you do!

yes i did try this, but its a bit of a pain sliding the headstock off as its quite heavy.
would be abit of a pain doing this.
i suppose the easiest wayis to raise the bed up a bit on blocks.

thanksfor the reply.

My first lathe was an Axi 1000. I kept it on the stand provided with it, and put a couple of 25kg bags of builders sand on the shelf to stabilize it. This reduced any vibration to a low level, even when turning at the maximum size.

When I had the cheaper Perform variant of similar model I had mine set on blocks so that I could reach under to clean out debris.

I also made a wooden wheel to be an interference fit on the adjusting nut which made it easier to release and tighten when needing to remove the toolrest.
Image circa 2006 when it was sold.
DSC01811.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01811.JPG
    DSC01811.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,095
henton49er":3pctdxja said:
My first lathe was an Axi 1000. I kept it on the stand provided with it, and put a couple of 25kg bags of builders sand on the shelf to stabilize it. This reduced any vibration to a low level, even when turning at the maximum size.

In addition, shim the legs of the stand so that the lathe ways are level and you can't rock it by hand.

Brian

trojan62":16ll10q4 said:
yes i did try this, but its a bit of a pain sliding the headstock off as its quite heavy.
would be abit of a pain doing this.
i suppose the easiest wayis to raise the bed up a bit on blocks.

thanksfor the reply.

I meant slide off the tailstock, not the headstock!

I now have the AWVSL1000 after my disappointing foray into the Record Power world.
I spent a very long time making sure the stand was completely level on a solid surface, and I don't really have many issues with vibration unless the speed is too high for the piece being turned.

I would like to box in the shelf to create a cabinet, but face the same issue with access to the bedway if the banjo needs to be moved. Sliding the tailstock & banjo off the end is a pain in the hoop, but is do-able if you remove the little mild steel plates on the end.

Back