Auger Bit sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovetaildave

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't use the S word but I cant manage any longer.

Seems like Nicholsons have stopped making files for sharpening Auger bit, cant find any advertised at Workshop Heaven or Dieter Schmid. :?

Does anyone sharpen them without dedicated files, if so how.

Thanks,
Dave

Looks quite easy to do with the dedicated file, especially with the safety edges.

I gather the balancing of the two cutting/lifting edges is the trick.

Do you find you have the occasional "accident"?

I learned from chainsaws that the best, quickest and easiest way of sharpening something is not to let it get blunt. Just a wipe or two with a sharp fine file before any angles are lost, and the job's done. It's less strain on your tools as well.

Corradi in Italy still sell Auger bit files. Sharpening for the Japanese augers is done with feather edge saw files. I've used diamond slips and Stubbs or Vallorbe needle files - my augers only have one spur and cutting edge so pretty simple
Matt

Having never used one, early last year I went looking for auger bit files. At the time I ordered some saw files from CHT, but their auger bit files were either out-of-stock or discontinued (or something...). So I ordered some from three suppliers in the States:

Aug filesHL.jpg
top $US16.95 from Tools for Working Wood. Made in Italy;
middle $US8.50 from Lie-Nielsen. Made in India.
bottom $US11.20 (each) Magbit from Amazon. Made in India.

The file supplied by Lie-Nielsen and the Magbit files are almost certainly from the same manufacturer. They look alright, and if Lie-Nielsen sell them they must be alright. There is a safety warning on the Magbit containers "ALWAYS wear eye protection" and "DO NOT exceed 1200RPM" !!!!! :roll:

The Italian bit, on the other hand, is a work of art. The edges of the handle are rounded, and the file portions are tapered in thickness as well as width.

Aug fileHM.jpg

I don't use my augers very often so I've only sharpened one bit in the intervening months :oops:. I used one of the Indian bits and it seemed okay. Certainly the safe edges were great for a learner like me.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Aug filesHL.jpg
    Aug filesHL.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 2,758
  • Aug fileHM.jpg
    Aug fileHM.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,758
Vann the Italian one is from Corradi. I've had their needle rasps from Tilgear in the past
Matt

I bought the F. Dick one from Dieter Schmidt. It is still listed om their website for 9.90 €, and it seems possible to put one in your basket - are you sure they are no longer stocked ?

The safety edges make iit easier - but I guess you might grind the teeth off a regular file if pressed.

OMG, where can you buy those Corradi/Iridium files in the UK?! They are indeed gorgeous. So far I can't hunt down a supplier via the Internet.

Unless you are using auger bits in a professional context, day in and day out as in Shaker/country chairmaking for instance, one or two auger bit files will last the rest of your life. Actually, one likely would.

Fromey":35eltxrq said:
OMG, where can you buy those Corradi/Iridium files in the UK?! They are indeed gorgeous. So far I can't hunt down a supplier via the Internet.

You could always buy from Tools for Working Wood at $16.95 + $12.48 shipping if you really really want one. But I think Charles and the others are right on this - pretty much any small file will do.

Ironic isn't it. Made in Italy, flown over UK airspace and then we'd have to pay for them to be flown back to the UK. They appear to have an excellent range of excellent products http://www.corradi.com/en/

Workshop Heaven, Classic Hand Tools, your country needs you!

Sheffield Tony":21mr3s02 said:
I bought the F. Dick one from Dieter Schmidt. It is still listed om their website for 9.90 €, and it seems possible to put one in your basket - are you sure they are no longer stocked ?

The safety edges make iit easier - but I guess you might grind the teeth off a regular file if pressed.

I'm on their website, all I can see is "Unfortunately this file is no longer available. The maker Nicholson stopped production." that's written just underneath the title "How to sharpen Auger Bits"
If you could provide a link to the F. Dick, that would be perfect :)

Vann" The Italian bit said:
Cheers, Vann.

Ive written the nicest email to Tilgear asking if they could pop one in their next Corradi order, suggested others may be interested as they would be the only suppliers of said tool in the UK :wink:

Fromey":21mr3s02 said:
Ironic isn't it. Made in Italy, flown over UK airspace and then we'd have to pay for them to be flown back to the UK. They appear to have an excellent range of excellent products http://www.corradi.com/en/

Workshop Heaven, Classic Hand Tools, your country needs you!

A very sound observation there Fromey, ...........Mathew waddya think :?:

Shrubby":21mr3s02 said:
Sharpening for the Japanese augers is done with feather edge saw files.
Matt

Interesting, will have a go at looking for a UK seller, unless you know one already :)

carlb40":21mr3s02 said:

MAGBIT isnt free postage $35+ as I dont live at US postal area. Lie nielsen looks and sounds good, $8 great, will I get hammered by UK customs and excise as I did on the Stanley 08C I bought from the US? :(

Already on it.

I have been emailing with them over the past few weeks.

There are plenty of other goodies in their catalogue too.

matthewwh":1x96hhc7 said:
Already on it.

I have been emailing with them over the past few weeks.

There are plenty of other goodies in their catalogue too.

This augurs well for us then! :oops:

Ok ok...I'm on the coat rack now...tra! :mrgreen:

Jimi

Dovetaildave":k5bjjcly said:
If you could provide a link to the F. Dick, that would be perfect :)

This is the Dick file :-

Item 314000
http://www.fine-tools.com/feile4.htm#ziel314000

I bought one about a year ago, it has a label with that item number on it, both the packet and the file are only marked "F Dick."

Clicking on the "show more" link does go on to say that the Nicholson file is no longer made - perhaps this is a substitute.

Sheffield Tony;
This morning I received a reply to my enquiry email to Dieter as you seemed so sure and......bingo, including P&P £16 :D (another thanks going out from my very lopsided sent/received ratio)
Item 314000
http://www.fine-tools.com/feile4.htm#ziel314000

Prospective buyers will have to click on the hyperlink "Price" otherwise you'll go back to the description on sharpening technique......DAHIK

Christiane says; "We have a lot of those in stock".

Looking forward to having a sharpening time and giving those lazy augers a real workout, (not to mention the 6 and 10" braces). some of them have been laying around for 20+ years. I better get some off cuts in quickly otherwise this bench will end up looking like Swiss cheese :wink:

Matthew: "Already on it." .........DHL from Germany to Victoria....... #-o

Fromey":1qpp9es3 said:

Yes they look good enough to eat, probably set my fillings tingling tho :D

They haven't replied to my enquiry email, Looking at the "contact us" page, I doubt they deal with individual buyers but worth a try in my (now sated) desperation.

Fromey":3f8lsyez said:

Just received a reply that my help you get some.....

Sorry we don’t supply end users unless industrial. Please go through our partner e-shop at http://www.rma-tools.com. They ship in all EU countries.

Should you have any troubles, please don’t hesitate to write us back.
CORRADI SpA Export Dept.

Regards,
Dave :D

Latest posts

Back