Auger bit file recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worker

Established Member
Reaction score
What are people using to sharpen their augers these days? Been looking online but choice seems very limited in the UK market

For needle files, do you recommend smooth or dead smooth grade file?

Corradi do specific files, as you say can be harder to find a source in uk for them though so need to be posted from Italy

I use a Narex auger bit file (bought from Classic Hand Tools some time ago). It does quite a good job and it wasn't very expensive.

You may always improvise and glue some sandpaper (multiple grits if you want to) on a narrow piece of wood and do the same job.

I found some Bahco ones which seem like decent quality, shipping from Italy will be hit by various import charges no?

I'm leaning towards dead smooth at the moment, does that sound ok for augers? Or should I go for smooth which is the middle ground

there are uk dealers such as workshop heaven, no need to import it from italy, I also use a triangular saw file.

look for good quality used (or old stock and not used, rather) warding files.

Be careful of the size as they can be anything from very small for jewelers to large.

(warding files are about the same cost here - for good ones - as the grobet auger bit file - $15 or so, including shipping).

You can also save edge a taper saw file by grinding the corners off.

Back