Ash NEB in colour.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
This started as a commission that got canceled, not a problem though as it was something I had in mind anyway and I think it will sell in time anyway.

Finish is shellac, the bowl is 9.5 inches across. The colour is done with Chestnut's spirit stains (a mix).

GB-4.jpg

GB-3.jpg

GB-2.jpg

GB-1.jpg

Cheers guys, :) Comments appreciated.

108 views and only 2 comments?

You are allowed to say if it doesn't appeal as well, I won't mind! :)

Obviously I like it, that's why I did it that way. :D

I think that is absolutely stunning, it would look fabulous in a contemporary home, I'm sure it will sell very quickly.
Once again another cracking piece of turning.

looks great to me,love the shape and the colouring,I think the foot is really nice,good to see a different design of foot to the norm,cheers,

Eric.

Well my excuse for not commenting is that I keep coming back to it. The shape turning and final finish is as to be expected from you Kim I just can't make my mind up about the colour it seems to appear dirty if you know what I mean especially compared to your other coloured item.

Thanks for commenting Derek, do you mean the actual colour, or the way the colour has taken?

I was aiming for something similar to the colour of the little Oak pot (below) Obviously the wood being different, a different effect is achieved. The range of darks and lights on the bowl are from the feathering in the grain and that flashes from dark to very light as the bowl is turned in the hand, it looks pretty effective then.

The deep varicoloured items I had done previously work well with a fine grain like Sycamore, but Ash is tricky to colour as the end grain takes so much more pigment as this makes it really stand out, as such I find it gets far too busy with a lot of colours and I prefer a single or two colour scheme where the enhancement of the grain can be better appreciated, it sort of a halfway house between colouring and leaving it natural.

I really appreciate your input on this piece, thanks! :)

LilacVase-5.jpg

KimG":38y9d4or said:
Thanks for commenting Derek, do you mean the actual colour, or the way the colour has taken?

I was aiming for something similar to the colour of the little Oak pot (below) Obviously the wood being different, a different effect is achieved. The range of darks and lights on the bowl are from the feathering in the grain and that flashes from dark to very light as the bowl is turned in the hand, it looks pretty effective then.

The deep varicoloured items I had done previously work well with a fine grain like Sycamore, but Ash is tricky to colour as the end grain takes so much more pigment as this makes it really stand out, as such I find it gets far too busy with a lot of colours and I prefer a single or two colour scheme where the enhancement of the grain can be better appreciated, it sort of a halfway house between colouring and leaving it natural.

I think it is the way the colour has taken which makes it appear blotchy and as I said dirty, but as you say wood can be a funny medium sometimes and does not always turn out the way you expect or take colour maybe the way you want. On the other side sometimes it just pops up and surprises you and you get something you least expect.

Latest posts

Back